By Aamir Latif
KARACHI, Pakistan (AA) - A 6.1-magnitude earthquake rocked a large part of Pakistan on Wednesday sending panicked people into the streets.
Initial reports said a girl had been killed and another four injured when the roof of a mudhouse collapsed in the southwestern Hub town, local broadcaster Express News reported. Over a dozen were also injured in the capital Islamabad and in Peshawar.
According to Pakistan’s official Earthquake Monitoring Center, the quake’s epicenter was some 178 kilometers (110.6 miles) underground in Afghanistan’s Hindu Kush region.
The tremors hit at 12:10 p.m. (0710GMT), shook buildings and utility poles in Islamabad, Lahore, Rawalpindi, Peshawar, Quetta and other parts in northeast, northwest, and southwest Pakistan.
The tremors continued for at least 12 seconds, local television channels broadcast footage of terrified residents -- including many women and children -- rushing out of their homes.
Pakistan is located on the Eurasian Tectonic Plate, which is known for high levels of seismic activity.
- Argentina announces agreement with Paris Club
- Turkish Treasury borrows nearly $1B through auctions
- 22 cases of Delta Plus strain found in India, says gov't
- UPDATE 2 - Durant, Harden, and Beal expected to join Team USA in Olympics
- Regional West African economic union bars Nigeria from prosecuting Twitter users
- Websites of Iran's state-run international broadcasters 'seized'
- Study says US troop suicides go beyond 30,000 since 2001
- UN rights chief urges Iran to ensure rights of lawyers, journalists, writers, artists
- US nursing home deaths spiked 32% in 2020: watchdog
- Uganda Olympic team quarantined in Tokyo after coronavirus case
- UPDATE - Turkey administers nearly 1M coronavirus vaccine shots in 24 hours
- Asian Development Bank approves $940M loan for Bangladesh to buy COVID-19 jabs
- Turkish midfielder Calhanoglu joins Inter Milan from city rivals AC Milan
- US cannot win Afghan war even if Pakistan provides bases: Premier
- UPDATE - Durant, Harden and Beal expected to join Team USA in Olympics
6.1-magnitude earthquake rocks Pakistan
By Aamir Latif
- FBI agents shoot man outside CIA headquarters
- Fenerbahce football player contracts COVID-19
- NBA: Bucks acquire P.J. Tucker, Kurucs from Rockets
- UN mission in DRC condemns killing of Italian envoy
- Erdogan urges all parties to pitch in on new Constitution
- US: 1 dead, 4 injured in clinic shooting
- Tennis: Australian Open to kick off Monday
- NBA: Doncic's career-high leads Mavericks over Warriors
- Bayern Munich win German Super Cup
- China destroys 30,000 'inaccurate' world maps
- ISNA President Expresses Concerns on Gaza Crisis
- Attack on Muslims Outside Mosque in NY
- Tips For a Happy and Healthy Ramadan
- Red Meat Linked to Breast Cancer in Harvard Study
- Pilot’s miraculous landing