• İstanbul 24 °C
  • Ankara 21 °C

Burundi launches COVID-19 mass screening campaign

Burundi launches COVID-19 mass screening campaign
Campaign will last three months, says health minister

By Felix Tih

ANKARA (AA) - The Burundian government has launched a three-month nation-wide coronavirus screening campaign, local media reported late Monday.

The campaign has started in the capital Bujumbura, and will extend to other provinces next week, according to SOS Médias Burundi.

"We were pleasantly surprised by the response of the population because we had planned [to screen] 250 people per day but at 2 p.m. [1200 GMT] we noticed that we had already taken more than 419 samples, which shows that the population responded massively to the appeal launched by His Excellency the President of the Republic," Health Minister Dr. Thaddee Ndikumana was quoted as saying.

Last week, newly elected President Evariste Ndayishimiye promised to combat corruption in public services, as well as beat the virus pandemic.

He called on the citizens to protect themselves and observe all preventive measures.

Without specifying the amount, Ndikumana said the screening operation is funded by the Burundian government and its partners.

With a population of 11 million, Burundi has confirmed 191 virus cases so far, including one death and 128 recoveries, according to the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention.

Late Pierre Nkurunziza had been criticized for the country's poor management of the outbreak.

In May, his government expelled World Health Organization's representatives from the East African country.

source: News Feed
This news is a total 13 time has been read
UYARI: Küfür, hakaret, rencide edici cümleler veya imalar, inançlara saldırı içeren, imla kuralları ile yazılmamış,
Türkçe karakter kullanılmayan ve büyük harflerle yazılmış yorumlar onaylanmamaktadır.
This news yet comment has been added .
Other News
All Rights Reserved © May 2014 US Muslims | Unauthorized and the resources published.
Haber Scripti: CM Bilişim