By Hasan Esen
MADRID (AA) – The Catalan parliament on Thursday announced that it will have a vote of confidence in former leader Carles Puigdemont's candidacy as president of the region.
The new speaker of the Catalan Parliament, Roger Torrent said in a statement that the confidence vote will be held on Jan. 30.
The statement did not specify whether Puigdemont-- who fled to Belgium following a unilateral independence vote on Oct. 1. -- physically present during the parliament session or just join it via video conference.
On Jan. 17, Torrent -- a member of the pro-independence Republican Catalan Left (ERC) party -- was elected as the new speaker of the Catalan Parliament.
Separatist parties want Puigdemont to lead the region again, but it raises many complications in Spain.
If Puigdemont returns to Spain, he will be automatically arrested, as he faces serious charges of rebellion and sedition for leading the Catalan parliament to declare independence in late October.
Although his supporters insist that Puigdemont can potentially take an oath by video link from Brussels, Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy argues that it is not possible.
- UPDATE - Turkish children's festival celebrated in Beijing
- UPDATE - Afghanistan: 62 dead in voter registration office blast
- UPDATE 3 - Turkey: 15 opposition CHP MPs join opposition IYI Party
- Australians, Turks commemorate Anzac ancestors
- UPDATE 2 - Turkey: 15 opposition CHP MPs join opposition IYI Party
- Egypt adopts law to confiscate assets of terror groups
- Turkish business body opens new branch in Georgia
- Anadolu Agency editors visit Istanbul's new airport
- Electoral board names parties to run for June 24 polls
- Upgraded Turkish drones to debut at Eurasia Airshow
- Nigeria: Suicide bombing in mosque kills 4
- UPDATE - Turkey: 15 opposition CHP MPs join opposition IYI Party
- Iraq says 36 Daesh terrorists killed in Syria raids
- Turkish president celebrates Children's Day
- Turkish children's festival celebrated in Beijing
Catalan parliament to vote in former-leader candidacy
By Hasan Esen