By Giada Zampano
ROME (AA) -- Italy reported 727 more deaths from the novel coronavirus on Wednesday, bringing the total number of fatalities in the country to 13,155.
While Italy’s death toll remains the highest in the world, the number of fatalities and new cases being reported is lower than figures seen over the past few weeks.
Active cases were up 3.8% from Tuesday, reaching 80,572, while the number of recovered COVID-19 patients rose to 16,847.
The epicenter of the Italian outbreak remains the northern Lombardy region, which accounts for 7,593 of the country’s total fatalities.
Health Minister Roberto Speranza on Wednesday informed the parliament that the government plans to extend the nationwide lockdown until April 13.
"We must not view the first positive signs as an all clear signal,” he said.
“The data shows we are on the right path and that our drastic decisions are bearing fruit."
However, he warned, that the “battle is still very long”.
The lockdown extension was widely expected but the government faces growing fears of social unrest, especially in the poorer southern regions.
To curb the rising risk of social turmoil, the government is mulling over an unprecedented emergency handout, focusing on workers who were employed in Italy’s large underground economy and lost their jobs due to the lockdown.
- UPDATE - US bans entry of non-US citizens from Brazil over virus
- South Africa to ease COVID-19 lockdown from June 1
- Muslims in two Syrian towns mark peaceful Eid
- Hong Kong activists slam China’s proposed security law
- US bans entry of non-US citizens from Brazil over virus
- Coronavirus cases, deaths on rise in Eurasian countries
- Zambia’s information minister contracts COVID-19
- African Muslims celebrate virtual Eid under lockdown
- UPDATE 2- Turkish leader exchanges Eid wishes with counterparts
- Bayern Munich keep up 4-point gap at top of Bundesliga
- Turkish leader exchanges Eid wishes with counterparts
- UPDATE - No one can take Palestine's lands: Turkish president
- UPDATE - Turkish leader exchanges Eid wishes with counterpart
- Turkish, Iranian leaders discuss fight against COVID-19
- No one can away take Palestine's lands: Turkish president
COVID-19: Italy deaths cross 13,000, lockdown extended
Country reports 727 fatalities over past 24 hours, active cases now over 80,500
This news is a total 22 time has been read
UPDATE - US bans entry of non-US citizens from Brazil over virusAction aims to prevent Brazil from becoming 'a source of additional infections in our country,' says White House
South Africa to ease COVID-19 lockdown from June 1Alert level for entire country be lowered from Level 4 to Level 3
Muslims in two Syrian towns mark peaceful EidTal Abyad and Ras al-Ayn were cleared of terrorists during Turkey’s Operation Peace Spring
Hong Kong activists slam China’s proposed security lawDraft decision submitted to China’s parliament last week on changing territory’s long-term ‘defenseless’ status
US bans entry of non-US citizens from Brazil over virusAction aims to prevent Brazil from becoming 'a source of additional infections in our country,' says White House