By Beyza Binnur Donmez
ANKARA (AA) - Dominion Voting Systems on Monday sued former US President Donald Trump's attorney Rudy Giuliani as a result of a "viral disinformation campaign" against the company.
Dominion said it has been harassed due to such "defamatory falsehoods" spread by Trump, his allies and pro-Trump media.
"As a result of the defamatory falsehoods peddled by Giuliani—in concert with Sidney Powell, Russell Ramsland, L. Lin Wood, Mike Lindell, Patrick Byrne, Lou Dobbs, Fox News, Fox Business, Newsmax, One America News Network ('OAN'), The Epoch Times, and other like-minded allies and media outlets determined to promote a false preconceived narrative about the 2020 election—Dominion’s founder and employees have been harassed and have received death threats, and Dominion has suffered unprecedented and irreparable harm," the company said in a 107-page complaint filed to the Columbia District Court.
"Dominion brings this action to set the record straight, to vindicate the company’s rights under civil law, to recover compensatory and punitive damages, and to stand up for itself, its employees, and the electoral process," it continued.
Dominion seeks more than $1.3 billion in damages.
The lawsuit includes election fraud claims, which the company calls "Big Lie," made by Giuliani on Twitter, podcast shows and in his media/TV appearances.
It also noted that Giuliani spread falsehoods that Dominion uses "Venezuelan company software that’s been used to steal elections in other countries," and is "being run by people that are close to [President Nicolas] Maduro and [former Venezuelan leader Hugo] Chavez," so that the company "has tried and true methods for fixing elections,"
Dominion also mentioned how Giuliani continued his claims of election fraud on Twitter and during his address in Trump rally just ahead of the deadly Jan. 6 US Capitol breach, pointing fingers at the voting system company.
"Also, last night one of the experts that have examined these crooked dominion machines has absolutely what he believes is conclusive proof that in the last 10%, 15% of the vote counted, the votes were deliberately changed," Giuliani said in the rally, without presenting evidence or naming the expert.
It marked the second lawsuit against Trump's close allies to challenge election results after Dominion sued lawyer Sidney Powell earlier in January. The company also requested more than $1.3 billion for damages.