By Yusuf Ozcan
PARIS (AA) – At least 32 people were arrested in Paris ahead of planned Yellow Vest protests which started in mid-November forcing the government to scrap plans to raise fuel prices, local media reported on Saturday.
According to French media, 121 people were taken to police centers and 32 of them were arrested as police found out they were carrying stones and hammers.
Protesters wearing bright yellow vests --dubbed the Yellow Vests-- are gathering at the famous Champs-Elysees avenue where stores, restaurants and banks were shut down as precaution against possible violence.
Security measures have been tightened in Paris ahead of the demonstrations. Dozens of armored vehicles and 89,000 troops --including 8,000 in Paris-- will be on duty.
Some museums are also closed on Saturday. The Eiffel Tower’s management announced on its Twitter account that it will remain closed to the public Saturday due to demonstrations and visitors will be automatically refunded.
Thousands of yellow vest protesters have been gathering in major French cities including Paris since Nov. 17 to protest President Emmanuel Macron's controversial fuel tax hikes and the deteriorating economic situation in France.
The demonstrators, who generally live in rural areas due to high rents in the cities, called on Macron to cut fuel taxes and make economic arrangements to ease their lives.
At least three people have died during the riots while 1,043 others have been injured, including 222 members of the security forces. As many as 1,424 people have been arrested.
According to a recent survey, 84 percent of the French people -- mostly from the middle-income group -- support the protests.
Fuel prices in France have risen more than 20 percent this year.
- President Joko Widodo re-elected in Indonesia election
- Turkish foreign minister on two-day visit to Guatemala
- UPDATE - Turkey opposes foreign intervention in Venezuela
- Turkey's frst lady marks World Orphans Day
- US lawmakers urge spy chief to halt tech hacking spread
- Turkey opposes foreign intervention in Venezuela
- Cameroon celebrates National Day in Ankara
- Turkey's president hosts head of Turkic Council
- Fifth migrant dies in US custody since December
- Israel, Hamas agree to 6-month cease-fire: Report
- Turkish vice president meets Ukraine's new leader
- UN urges calmer heads amid US-Iran tensions
- Over 100 FETO suspects held in exam irregularities bid
- Turkish agencies distribute Ramadan aid world over
- To bee or not to bee: World marks Bee Day
France: 32 people arrested ahead of Yellow Vest protests
By Yusuf Ozcan