By Burak Bir
ANKARA (AA) – Environmental protests and strikes continued across the globe in December last year, with demonstrators demanding more decisive action to tackle climate change.
Activists and citizens continued online campaigns and street protests while keeping socially distant due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The events included Fridays for Future's weekly protests, which were launched in 2018 by Swedish environmental activist Greta Thunberg, and global campaigns' rallies against anti-environmental practices and attitudes, as well as seismic survey activities by an oil giant.
Below is a timeline of protests and demonstrations compiled by Anadolu Agency:
- On the first Fridays for Future strike of the month, climate activists and environmental protesters continue to raise awareness about climate change, with nonprofit organizations supporting their efforts.
- Environmental activists stage a protest outside the Shell gas station in Cape Town's Newlands district to protest seismic survey activities planned by the oil company.
- Climate activists stage a protest against climate change's impact amid flooding in the Muara Angke Port area in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- On the second Fridays for Future strike of December, climate activists and environmental protesters continue to raise awareness about climate change and environmental issues.
- Fridays for Future holds the third strike of the month with climate activists and environmental protesters raising awareness about climate change and environmental issues.
- Every Acham, a young Ugandan environmental activist, holds a protest to raise awareness about the Congo rainforest on her weekly climate strike.
- Pointing out rising carbon emissions that "should be in an unprecedented fall," Thunberg states on Twitter that trying to solve this crisis without treating it like a crisis is "a waste of time."
- On his 75th week of a school strike, a 13-year-old Indian climate activist Aarav Seth calls for climate action. "Prioritize Science! Not Selfish Political Interests," he writes on Twitter.
- During the fourth Fridays for Future strike in December, climate activists and environmental protesters continue to raise awareness about climate change and environmental issues.
- Environmental activists hail a South African court's decision to stop oil giant Shell from conducting a seismic survey along the country's ecologically sensitive Wild Coast region in the Eastern Cape.
- During the last Fridays for Future strike in the year, climate and environmental activists continue protesting for action on climate change and the environment, demanding more action from world leaders.