By Burak Bir
ANKARA (AA) - Environmental protests and strikes continued across the globe in November, with demonstrators demanding more decisive action to tackle climate change.
Activists and citizens continued online campaigns and street protests while keeping socially distant due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Events included Fridays for Future protests, which were launched in 2018 by Swedish environmental activist Greta Thunberg, and campaigns worldwide against anti-environmental practices and attitudes, including those held as part of COP26.
Below is a timeline of protests and demonstrations compiled by Anadolu Agency:
- A "COP26 Hot Air Band" involving Oxfam activists dressed in Scottish kilts and carrying bagpipes and drums and wearing masks of presidents and prime ministers takes part in a protest in Royal Exchange Square during the COP26 UN Climate Summit in Glasgow.
- Environmental activists hold a demonstration outside the British Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- British police make arrests as climate activists stage a demonstration and block roads around Parliament Square in central London.
- On the first Fridays for Future strike of the month, climate activists and environmental protesters continue to raise awareness about climate change in efforts supported by nonprofits.
- The COP26 summit being held in Glasgow has failed, and it is no secret, says Swedish climate change activist Greta Thunberg.
- Indigenous people and climate activists protest in front of BTG Pactual Bank's headquarters in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Those affected by forest fires and floods hold a protest in the Greek capital Athens calling for urgent climate action as well as compensation for their losses.
- Tens of thousands of people march through the streets of Glasgow, Scotland to protest against the negative effects of climate change and for Scottish independence.
- The first week of the COP26 climate summit sees mass youth climate activism.
- Members of the environmental group Greenpeace stage action against climate change by sending 1,000 postcards to Indonesian President Joko Widodo.
- On the second Fridays for Future strike of November, climate activists and environmental protesters continue to raise awareness about climate change and environmental issues.
- Extinction Rebellion activists hold climate action, gathering at Times Square in New York City and marching towards the governor’s office.
- Fridays for Future movement releases a statement after the end of COP26 that defines the results as "disappointing."
- Fridays for Future holds the third strike of the month with climate activists and environmental protesters raising awareness about climate change and environmental issues.
- During the last Fridays for Future strike in November, climate activists and environmental protesters continue to raise awareness about climate change and environmental issues.