By Burak Bir
ANKARA (AA) - Protests and strikes against environmental degradation continued across the globe in September, with demonstrators demanding decisive action to tackle climate change.
Activists and netizens continued street protests and online campaigns. Events included Fridays for Future's weekly protests and anti-government protests over failing climate policies.
Below is a timeline of protests and demonstrations compiled by Anadolu Agency:
- Climate activists and environmental protesters continue to raise awareness about climate change during the first Fridays for Future strike of the month, with nonprofit groups supporting the efforts.
- Climate change protesters superglue themselves to the speaker’s chair in Britain’s House of Commons, demanding a citizens’ assembly.
- Some climate activists and members of "Scientist Rebellion" interrupt the Gastech 2022 event in Milano, Italy, holding a banner calling for the end of fossil fuels.
- Environmental and climate groups call on activists to hold demonstration to show solidarity with Pakistan as the country faces catastrophic floods.
- On the second Fridays for Future strike in September, climate activists and environmental protesters continue to raise awareness about climate change and environmental issues.
- A group of people from Debt for Climate hold a demonstration outside the World Bank’s office in London calling for the cancellation of Pakistan's debt over unprecedented floods in the country.
- Extinction Rebellion group calls on activists to gather weekly for online event, demanding the IMF and World Bank to "decarbonize and decolonize" the world.
- Citing Human Rights Watch's report, environmental groups criticize the Egyptian government over "restrictions" and "undermining" climate activists in the country, which will host the upcoming COP27 climate meeting.
- More than 1,700 organizations in 105 countries endorse the proposed Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty.
- Fridays for Future holds a third strike of the month, with climate activists and environmental protesters raising awareness about climate change and environmental issues.
- German police take an activist into custody as climate activists gather to hold a protest against the government's climate policy in the capital Berlin.
- Environmental groups call on activists and concerned citizens around the world to take part in an upcoming global climate strike.
- Climate activists hold a protest in front of the Japan International Cooperation Agency's main office in Tokyo to demand the cancellation of the Matarbari coal-fired power plant project in Bangladesh.
- Climate activists and environmental protesters around the world occupy streets and squares as part of this year's global climate strike.
- Climate activists stage protests in more than 250 German towns and cities, demanding urgent action to tackle global warming.
- People holding banners gather in front of the Municipal Theater in Tunis, Tunisia to protest, demanding a "state of emergency for the climate.”
- Climate activists along with Youth for Climate France take part in a demonstration in Paris, marching from the Place du Pantheon to the Gare de Paris-Bercy bus station.
- Fridays for Future holds the last strike of the month, with climate activists and environmental protesters raising awareness about climate change and environmental issues.