By Cheena Kapoor
NEW DELHI, India (AA) - India’s coronavirus count on Saturday crossed the 8.1 million mark after it registered 48,268 new cases over the past day, official figures revealed.
At least 551 new deaths were also reported over the last 24 hours, bringing the total death toll in the country to 121,641.
Over 7.4 million patients have recovered from the disease in the country, 59,454 in the last 24 hours, pushing the recovery rate to 91.34%.
The total number of active cases in the country now stands at 582,649. As per the Health Ministry on Friday, for the first time in 85 days, the active caseload went below 600,000.
The country has been reporting a decline in the number of cases after reaching a peak of over 90,000 cases a day in September, but experts have warned of a spike during the festival season which runs till mid-November
The western state of Maharashtra, the southern state of Kerala, and the Indian capital, Delhi, are among the worst-hit. For a third consecutive day, Delhi recorded over 5,000 cases, 5,891 on Friday.
India is the world's second-worst affected country after the United States, which has over 9 million infections.
- China sends victory message to US president-elect
- Turkey's Borsa Istanbul up at midweek's close
- COVID-19 outbreak triggers violence against women
- COVID-19: Kenya reports 810 new cases, 8 fatalities
- Turkish craftsman forges unique silver, gold facemasks
- Blast causes damage to oil tanker off Saudi Arabia
- Turkey's dollar-denominated bonds see high demand
- World must condemn TPLF's Maikadra massacre: Ethiopia
- Turkey, Qatar to hold 6th strategic committee Thursday
- US church ask top court to block governor virus limit
- Azerbaijanis celebrate liberation of occupied Kalbajar
- Russia, Iraq discuss military cooperation
- Israel gives 2 Palestinian homes to settlers
- US initial jobless claims increase for second week
- IOC sanctions 3 Romanian athletes for doping violations
India reports over 48,000 more coronavirus cases
551 deaths reported over past 24 hours
This news is a total 16 time has been read
COVID-19 outbreak triggers violence against womenCalls to national hotlines for domestic violence increase 5-fold in some countries worldwide
COVID-19: Kenya reports 810 new cases, 8 fatalitiesTotal number of cases in country rises to 79,322, death toll reaches 1,417
Blast causes damage to oil tanker off Saudi ArabiaExplosion hits MT Agrari, a Maltese-flagged vessel, off coast of Shuqaiq province in Red Sea
World must condemn TPLF's Maikadra massacre: EthiopiaAbiy Ahmed's government vows justice for brutal ethnically driven attack by Tigrayan youth group, security forces
Turkey, Qatar to hold 6th strategic committee ThursdayHeaded by Turkish, Qatari heads of state, meeting to discuss bilateral relations, regional and international relations