By Cheena Kapoor
NEW DELHI, India (AA) - India’s coronavirus count on Saturday crossed the 8.1 million mark after it registered 48,268 new cases over the past day, official figures revealed.
At least 551 new deaths were also reported over the last 24 hours, bringing the total death toll in the country to 121,641.
Over 7.4 million patients have recovered from the disease in the country, 59,454 in the last 24 hours, pushing the recovery rate to 91.34%.
The total number of active cases in the country now stands at 582,649. As per the Health Ministry on Friday, for the first time in 85 days, the active caseload went below 600,000.
The country has been reporting a decline in the number of cases after reaching a peak of over 90,000 cases a day in September, but experts have warned of a spike during the festival season which runs till mid-November
The western state of Maharashtra, the southern state of Kerala, and the Indian capital, Delhi, are among the worst-hit. For a third consecutive day, Delhi recorded over 5,000 cases, 5,891 on Friday.
India is the world's second-worst affected country after the United States, which has over 9 million infections.
- UPDATE 2 - 4 Palestinians killed in Israeli attacks on Gaza overnight
- Palestinian father trapped at home with family asks for help after Israeli attacks
- UPDATE - 2 more Palestinians killed in Israeli attacks on Gaza
- UN head ‘deeply disturbed’ by Israeli attack on media offices
- Anadolu Agency's Morning Briefing – May 16, 2021
- 2 more Palestinians killed in Israeli attacks on Gaza
- Gaza responds to Israeli attacks
- Israeli premier says attacks on Gaza will continue
- Israeli human rights group says state committing war crimes in Gaza
- Sheikh Jarrah Palestinian residents face eviction on 73rd anniversary of Nakba
- Austrian expelled from ruling party for pro-Palestinian social media post
- Israel kills 2 Palestinians in West Bank
- Israelis in Tel Aviv protest, demand cease-fire with Gaza
- South Africans demand government take action against Israel
- Leicester City win FA Cup for 1st time
India reports over 48,000 more coronavirus cases
551 deaths reported over past 24 hours
This news is a total 37 time has been read
Anadolu Agency's Morning Briefing – May 16, 2021Daily briefing on novel coronavirus pandemic worldwide, Turkey, other developments
2 more Palestinians killed in Israeli attacks on GazaNumber of casualties at 147 while 1,115 injured in Israeli attacks
Israeli human rights group says state committing war crimes in GazaB'Tselem demands international community immediately intervene to stop Israel before it kills more
Sheikh Jarrah Palestinian residents face eviction on 73rd anniversary of NakbaStory of residents facing eviction dates to Great Catastrophe when Palestinians expelled from their lands in 1948
Austrian expelled from ruling party for pro-Palestinian social media postResul Yigit’s membership in Austrian People’s Party terminated for supporting Palestinians
- FBI agents shoot man outside CIA headquarters
- Fenerbahce football player contracts COVID-19
- NBA: Bucks acquire P.J. Tucker, Kurucs from Rockets
- UN mission in DRC condemns killing of Italian envoy
- Erdogan urges all parties to pitch in on new Constitution
- US: 1 dead, 4 injured in clinic shooting
- Tennis: Australian Open to kick off Monday
- NBA: Doncic's career-high leads Mavericks over Warriors
- Bayern Munich win German Super Cup
- China destroys 30,000 'inaccurate' world maps
- ISNA President Expresses Concerns on Gaza Crisis
- Attack on Muslims Outside Mosque in NY
- Tips For a Happy and Healthy Ramadan
- Red Meat Linked to Breast Cancer in Harvard Study
- Pilot’s miraculous landing