By Busra Nur Bilgic
ANKARA (AA) - Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) in northern Iraq on Wednesday condemned the attack that martyred a Turkish diplomat in Erbil, Iraq.
“We condemn in the strongest terms the shooting in a restaurant in Erbil today, which led to the deaths of a Turkish diplomat and a civilian, and injured one other,” KRG said in an official statement.
“The government has launched a full investigation and contacted senior Turkish diplomats to offer condolences and provide assistance,” the statement read.
We assure our citizens and foreign diplomats in particular that all necessary precautions will be taken to ensure the safety and security of the Kurdish region and its peoples, it added.
Earlier, a Turkish diplomat, who was serving at Turkey's Consulate General in Erbil, was martyred in an armed attack at a restaurant, the Turkish Foreign Ministry confirmed in a statement.
"This afternoon (17 July 2019), an official of our Consulate General in Erbil has been martyred as a result of a heinous attack, while he was outside of our Consulate compound," said the statement.
Erbil's police chief Abdulhalik Talat said an investigation was immediately launched into the incident and further information will be shared later.
- North Korea tests super-large multiple rocket launcher
- UPDATE - Daesh attack kills 6, injures 11 in northern Iraq
- Macron: G7 against Iranian nuke
- UPDATE 2 - Hezbollah denies shooting down Israeli drones
- Hong Kong protests continue despite downpour
- UPDATE - Hezbollah denies shooting down Israeli drones
- 3 Turkish soldiers martyred in PKK attack
- Saudi-led coalition downs Houthi drone fired at airbase
- Rohingya prefer death to life without rights in Myanmar
- INFOGRAPHIC - Who are Rohingya?
- Saudi to decide on UAE role in Yemen: Minister
- Terrorist ‘neutralized’ in Turkey’s east
- Turkey 'neutralizes' 24 PKK terrorists on Saturday
- UK, US discuss 'special relationship' in France
- Hezbollah denies shooting down Israeli drones
Iraq’s KRG condemns attack on Turkish diplomat in Erbil
By Busra Nur Bilgic