By Busra Nur Bilgic
ANKARA (AA) - Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) in northern Iraq on Wednesday condemned the attack that martyred a Turkish diplomat in Erbil, Iraq.
“We condemn in the strongest terms the shooting in a restaurant in Erbil today, which led to the deaths of a Turkish diplomat and a civilian, and injured one other,” KRG said in an official statement.
“The government has launched a full investigation and contacted senior Turkish diplomats to offer condolences and provide assistance,” the statement read.
We assure our citizens and foreign diplomats in particular that all necessary precautions will be taken to ensure the safety and security of the Kurdish region and its peoples, it added.
Earlier, a Turkish diplomat, who was serving at Turkey's Consulate General in Erbil, was martyred in an armed attack at a restaurant, the Turkish Foreign Ministry confirmed in a statement.
"This afternoon (17 July 2019), an official of our Consulate General in Erbil has been martyred as a result of a heinous attack, while he was outside of our Consulate compound," said the statement.
Erbil's police chief Abdulhalik Talat said an investigation was immediately launched into the incident and further information will be shared later.
- UPDATE - Bolivian senator declares herself interim president
- Cameroon: opposition party to boycott general elections
- Lebanon: Man killed during protests after Auon's speech
- France aims to work with Turkey on return of terrorists
- Bolivian senator declares herself interim president
- Bolivia: Protesters offered $50,000 bounty for Morales
- UK: 25 Tory councilors posted Islamophobic content
- Germany’s Protestant Church to probe sexual abuse
- Turkey's president arrives in Washington for talks
- ANALYSIS - Europe must own up to its people in ranks of Daesh/ISIS
- Trump says US has 'eye on' Baghdadi's third-in-command
- Talks to form coalition government begin in Austria
- Iraqi government indefinitely postpones local elections
- UPDATE - Released FETO member arrested in Istanbul
- Israel carried out 30 attacks in Gaza Strip, says army
Iraq’s KRG condemns attack on Turkish diplomat in Erbil
By Busra Nur Bilgic