By Ahmet Esad Sani
ISTANBUL (AA) - The jury of Istanbul Photo Awards 2019 gathered on Saturday to select winners of the international photo contest.
The contest was organized by Anadolu Agency for the fifth time and the winners will be announced on April 25.
Turkish Cooperation and Coordination Agency (TIKA), Turkey’s development aid agency, and Turkish Airlines have sponsored the contest.
Mainly focusing on news and sports photos, the contest has four categories: Single News, Story News, Single Sports and Story Sports.
Members in the jury included Marion Mertens (France), digital editor-in-chief of Paris Match, Yuri Kozyrev (Russia), a photojournalist from Netherlands-based NOOR Agency, Georges De Keerle (Belgium), a photojournalist and visual media consultant, Michel Scotto (France), AFP’s of photo business development, Ahmet Sel, visual news editor-in-chief for Anadolu Agency, and Firat Yurdakul, photography editor for Anadolu Agency.
This year, Deborah Copaken, a photojournalist and author from the U.S., has joined the jury for the first time as Chairperson.
For the next two days, jury members will discuss the photos that successfully passed pre-screening and determine the winning photos.
By organizing the photo contest, Istanbul Photo Awards aims to encourage and promote photojournalism.
The contest is among the most prestigious contests and draws great interest of photojournalists across the world.
*Writing by Ali Murat Alhas
- OPINION - Turkey’s growing soft power at display in Somalia
- Turkish Embassy in US hosts iftar event for UN agency
- Ankara laments anti-Turkey activities in US Congress
- Turkish Cargo keeps growing despite global shrinkage
- Paid military service to be made permanent in Turkey
- Over 125 kg of heroin seized in eastern Turkey
- 2 PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in eastern Turkey
- Indian elections: Leads show easy second term for Modi
- Turkey to form Energy Fund for $2B non-performing loans
- Turkey's manufacturing capacity usage improves in May
- Oil prices down with rising US crude inventories
- US crude oil stocks, production rise for w/e May 17
- France grants asylum to 28 Yazidi women, their children
- Turkey's sectoral confidence slips in May
- Turkey's benchmark stock index down at open
Jury of Istanbul Photo Awards 2019 meets in Istanbul
By Ahmet Esad Sani