By Andrew Wasike
NAIROBI, Kenya (AA) – Kenyan president Uhuru Kenyatta has commissioned Africa’s largest wind power plant in Turkana Northern Kenya, his office said in a statement on Saturday.
The wind power farm is located next to Lake Turkana, the world’s largest permanent desert lake surrounded by three national parks and an active volcano.
Speaking during the inauguration of the power plant, Kenyatta said that the power plant, which will contribute 310 megawatts(MW) of clean, renewable and reliable low-cost energy, will change the future of Kenya.
“With this monumental feat, as Kenya scores another first in Africa, I challenge all Kenyans to remain resilient builders who build best when called upon to build greatly,” he said.
“This project will offer employment opportunities because we have electricity… schools, factories and other employment areas require electrical power, our country is blessed with vast renewable resources which remain untapped.”
According to Kenyatta’s office, the project comprises 365 wind turbines each with a capacity of 850kilowatts, Kenya’s installed power capacity has increased from 1,768 MW in March 2013 to the current 2,712 MW, with the Lake Turkana Wind, Garissa Solar Power (54 MW) and Ngong Wind Plants (26 MW) joining the grid within the last year.
- Turkish official inspects abandoned Maras in Cyprus
- UPDATE - 'Over 340,000 Syrians returned home from Turkey'
- Brazil, France spar over Amazon rainforest fires
- 3 terrorists ‘neutralized’ in Turkey’s east
- 1 Israeli killed, 2 injured in West Bank explosion
- Kashmir: Restrictions return amid call to march
- Regime attacks causing humanitarian crisis in Syria: Erdogan
- Turks in Greece still being denied their rights
- Russia vows 'symmetrical response’ to US missile test
- 'Over 340,000 Syrians returned home from Turkey'
- Qatari official visiting Gaza to discuss de-escalation
- Canada against Russia's return to G8
- ANALYSIS – Syrian Arab army on verge of killing Astana process
- Pakistan: Lower court to weigh video on Sharif case
- Turkey: Wanted terrorist among neutralized in operation
Kenya launches Africa’s biggest wind power plant
By Andrew Wasike