By Godfrey Olukya
ARU, Democratic Republic of Congo (AA) - The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in the DRC (OCHA) has strongly condemned the attack in which two humanitarian workers were killed and another was kidnapped three days ago.
According to a statement released Tuesday by OCHA, the two aid workers killed worked with an NGO called Hydraulique Sans Frontieres (HYFRO). They were killed by unidentified gunmen, reportedly in the village of Mushikiri located in the North Kivu province.
"It is unfortunate that two aid workers were killed while on duty. Humanitarian workers must never be targeted,'' the statement released by OCHA said.
OCHA said the attack represents a serious violation of international humanitarian law and requested for the immediate release of the worker who was kidnapped.
A security officer in North Kivu, Lt. Robert Addiya said security organizations in the province have started the search for those who killed the humanitarian workers as well as the kidnapped individual.
Attacks on NGO and UN workers by armed men have recently become commonplace in the Democratic Republic of Congo. A few weeks ago over a dozen UN peacekeepers were killed by suspected rebels.
Such attacks have increased since President Joseph Kabila has refused to leave office after the expiry of his term in December 2016.
- Saudi police: Riyadh's shooting targeted toy drone
- Palestine to fight US move on Jerusalem: Mahmoud Abbas
- Over 50 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- UPDATE 2 - Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- French, Egyptian presidents discuss Syria over phone
- UPDATE - Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- Chemical weapons watchdog team visits Syria’s Douma
- Figo's team beat Ronaldinho's in UEFA-UN match
- UPDATE 2 - Palestinian lecturer shot dead in Malaysia
- PKK terrorist on wanted list killed in eastern Turkey
- CORRECTS - Wars killed 12.5M Muslims in last 25 years: Expert
- Wars killed 12.5M Muslims in last 25 years: Expert
- PKK terror attack kills civilian in eastern Turkey
- UPDATE - Greece became safe haven for criminals: Turkey's Gul
Killing of 2 humanitarian workers in DRC condemned
2 humanitarian workers were killed and another was kidnapped 3 days ago in North Kivu
This news is a total 23 time has been read
Saudi police: Riyadh's shooting targeted toy droneSaudi authorities dispel rumors of gunfire near Royal Palace
Palestine to fight US move on Jerusalem: Mahmoud AbbasPalestinian president stresses on 2-state solution to conflict, calls East Jerusalem capital
Over 50 undocumented migrants held across TurkeyTurkey has been main route for refugees trying to cross into Europe
UPDATE 2 - Threat comes from strategic partners: ErdoganTurkish president says they will respect nation's wish during early election
French, Egyptian presidents discuss Syria over phoneLeaders speak about joint strike by US, France, UK in Syria, according to Egyptian Presidency