By Godfrey Olukya
ARU, Democratic Republic of Congo (AA) - The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in the DRC (OCHA) has strongly condemned the attack in which two humanitarian workers were killed and another was kidnapped three days ago.
According to a statement released Tuesday by OCHA, the two aid workers killed worked with an NGO called Hydraulique Sans Frontieres (HYFRO). They were killed by unidentified gunmen, reportedly in the village of Mushikiri located in the North Kivu province.
"It is unfortunate that two aid workers were killed while on duty. Humanitarian workers must never be targeted,'' the statement released by OCHA said.
OCHA said the attack represents a serious violation of international humanitarian law and requested for the immediate release of the worker who was kidnapped.
A security officer in North Kivu, Lt. Robert Addiya said security organizations in the province have started the search for those who killed the humanitarian workers as well as the kidnapped individual.
Attacks on NGO and UN workers by armed men have recently become commonplace in the Democratic Republic of Congo. A few weeks ago over a dozen UN peacekeepers were killed by suspected rebels.
Such attacks have increased since President Joseph Kabila has refused to leave office after the expiry of his term in December 2016.
- Over 20 irregular migrants held in NW Turkey
- Turkish police conduct nationwide safety operation
- Iran: EU should do more to keep nuclear deal alive
- Turkish foundation eases hardships of war-weary Syrian
- Turkish police round up suspects sought by Interpol
- Israel, US aim to destroy Palestinian Authority: Erekat
- Qatar condemns militant attack in Egypt's Sinai
- Detainee's death triggers clashes in eastern Tunisia
- Acting chief says Pentagon undecided yet on border wall
- Iraqi teachers strike for educational reform
- Trump urges Europe to 'take back' Daesh terrorists
- NBA All-Star Weekend: Diallo, Harris, Tatum winners
- Basketball: Anadolu Efes vs. Fenerbahce in cup final
- Football: Fenerbahce, Konyaspor share points in league
Killing of 2 humanitarian workers in DRC condemned
2 humanitarian workers were killed and another was kidnapped 3 days ago in North Kivu
This news is a total 93 time has been read
Over 20 irregular migrants held in NW TurkeyPalestinian, Libyan and Nigerian nationals allegedly wanted to illegally cross to Europe
Turkish police conduct nationwide safety operationMore than 3,600 people nabbed in simultaneous operations across Turkey, says Interior Ministry
Iran: EU should do more to keep nuclear deal aliveForeign Minister Javad Zarif asks EU heavyweights to take stronger stance against US sanctions
Turkish foundation eases hardships of war-weary SyrianTurkiye Diyanet Foundation has helped 130,000 Syrians since beginning of year
Turkish police round up suspects sought by InterpolSecurity forces nab 4 suspects with links to Daesh terrorist group in northwestern city of Bursa