By Emre Gurkan Abay
MOSCOW (AA) - The Moscow Stock Exchange announced on Monday that it has begun trading in the Turkish lira against the Russian ruble.
In a statement, the Moscow Exchange said that around 1.5 million rubles (around $ 26,000) were traded as of the first day.
According to the statement, Igor Marich, who oversees the bourse’s money and derivatives markets, said that the expansion of tools for the forex market would provide new opportunities for investment firms and bank customers who deal with foreign trade operations between Russia and Turkey.
Marich said that in 2017 the foreign trade volume between Russia and Turkey rose 40 percent and surpassed $20 billion.
“The development of direct purchases of Russian rubles and Turkish liras on the foreign exchange market will encourage the growth of the role of national currencies in mutual agreements,” he said.
In addition to the lira, the Moscow Exchange currently trades in the dollar, euro, British pound, Swiss franc, Hong Kong dollar, Chinese yen, Belarus ruble, and Kazakhstani tenge, and recently added the Japanese yen.
- Besiktas beat Antalyaspor 3-2 in thrilling Turkish league clash
- Liverpool beat Crystal Palace 3-0 to retain unbeaten run
- Turkey to hold 2 exhibitions in New York next week
- Turkish energy firm's public offering application approved
- Automotive firms dominate Turkey's list of largest exporters
- Turkey, Spain move to European amputee football championship final
- Bangladesh appeals to UN to resolve maritime demarcation row with India
- Turkey has administered nearly 104.9M vaccine jabs to date
- Bayern hammer Bochum 7-0, Lewandowski makes history
- Trabzonspor defeat Kasimpasa to keep unbeaten spell in Turkish Super Lig
- Security ensured, economy still poor after Taliban takeover, say tradesmen
- Lebanon seizes 20 tons of ammonium nitrate
- Excavations in Turkey's Cayonu mound to shed light on Neolithic era
- UPDATE - Turkish, Serbian presidents meet in Istanbul
- Tunisians protest president’s ‘exceptional’ measures
Moscow exchange begins trading in Turkish lira
By Emre Gurkan Abay
- FBI agents shoot man outside CIA headquarters
- Fenerbahce football player contracts COVID-19
- NBA: Bucks acquire P.J. Tucker, Kurucs from Rockets
- UN mission in DRC condemns killing of Italian envoy
- Erdogan urges all parties to pitch in on new Constitution
- US: 1 dead, 4 injured in clinic shooting
- Tennis: Australian Open to kick off Monday
- NBA: Doncic's career-high leads Mavericks over Warriors
- Bayern Munich win German Super Cup
- China destroys 30,000 'inaccurate' world maps
- ISNA President Expresses Concerns on Gaza Crisis
- Attack on Muslims Outside Mosque in NY
- Tips For a Happy and Healthy Ramadan
- Red Meat Linked to Breast Cancer in Harvard Study
- Pilot’s miraculous landing