• İstanbul 19 °C
  • Ankara 16 °C

Mozambique: Main opposition rejects election results

Mozambique: Main opposition rejects election results
Calling for new elections to replace Oct.15 ballot, Renamo accuses ruling party of violating hostility cessation agreement

By James Tasamba

MAPUTO, Mozambique (AA) - Mozambique’s main opposition National Resistance party, Renamo, accused the government on Saturday of using "violence" during Tuesday’s general elections, calling for a fresh ballot.

Mozambicans cast votes last Tuesday in presidential, parliamentary, and provincial elections.

Some 13 million voters were expected to cast ballots in the tense exercise where the ruling Frelimo party was expected to return to power in a vote -- seen as a test to the peace deal signed in August between the government and the Renamo rebels.

"The ruling Mozambique Liberation Front (Frelimo) has violated the cessation of hostilities agreement which states that violence and intimidation must not be used in pursuit of political objectives," Renamo said in a statement on Saturday.

Calling for the election to be cancelled and "new elections" to be organized, it claimed that a number of Renamo delegates were arrested after catching election organizers while committing election fraud.

The Mozambican Electoral Commission on Friday began releasing partial results of the elections, indicating a major lead for the incumbent president and the ruling party.

With around 39% of votes counted, Felipe Nyusi led with 68.85% against the 26.2% of his main competitor Osuffo Momade of the Renamo party.

The secretary general of Renamo, Andre Magibire told reporters that the party would hold a meeting on Monday to decide its response.

Frelimo spokesman Caifadine Manasse denied election malpractice had been committed saying the elections had been fair, free and transparent and would not affect the peace deal, according to local media.

The European Union observer mission to Mozambique’s election on Thursday also said in a statement that the playing field was "unlevel throughout the campaign.

Manasse dismissed the claims as "unfounded".

source: News Feed
This news is a total 24 time has been read
UYARI: Küfür, hakaret, rencide edici cümleler veya imalar, inançlara saldırı içeren, imla kuralları ile yazılmamış,
Türkçe karakter kullanılmayan ve büyük harflerle yazılmış yorumlar onaylanmamaktadır.
This news yet comment has been added .
Other News
All Rights Reserved © May 2014 US Muslims | Unauthorized and the resources published.
Haber Scripti: CM Bilişim