• İstanbul 21 °C
  • Ankara 17 °C

No plans to send 14,000 troops to Middle East: Pentagon

No plans to send 14,000 troops to Middle East: Pentagon
US not considering sending additional troops to region at this time, press secretary cites Mark Esper as saying

By Servet Gunerigok

WASHINGTON (AA) - The Pentagon on Thursday denied a report claiming the U.S. is considering the deployment of up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East.

In a statement, Pentagon Press Secretary Alyssa Farah said Defense Secretary Mark Esper spoke earlier in the day to Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Jim Inhofe, telling him “we are not considering sending 14,000 additional troops to the Middle East at this time.”

The U.S. is constantly assessing the threat situation around the world, said Farah, adding "we adjust our force posture and troop levels based on adversary action and the dynamic security situation."

The Pentagon’s statement came a day after The Wall Street Journal reported that the Trump administration was mulling the expansion of America’s military footprint in the Middle East to counter Iran.

"The deployment could double the number of U.S. military personnel who have been sent to the region since the start of a troop buildup in May," said the Journal, citing U.S. officials.

The U.S. has nearly 800 military bases around the world, and according to the U.S. Central Command, there are between 60,000 and 70,000 U.S. soldiers in the Middle East.

*Kasim Ileri contributed to this story

source: News Feed
This news is a total 57 time has been read
UYARI: Küfür, hakaret, rencide edici cümleler veya imalar, inançlara saldırı içeren, imla kuralları ile yazılmamış,
Türkçe karakter kullanılmayan ve büyük harflerle yazılmış yorumlar onaylanmamaktadır.
This news yet comment has been added .
Other News
All Rights Reserved © May 2014 US Muslims | Unauthorized and the resources published.
Haber Scripti: CM Bilişim