• İstanbul 15 °C
  • Ankara 8 °C

Philippines’ Duterte offers cabinet posts to rebels

Philippines’ Duterte offers cabinet posts to rebels
President-elect considering offering Communist Party members posts in labor, development and land departments

By Roy Ramos & Hader Glang

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines (AA) – Philippines president in-waiting Rodrigo Duterte has extended an offer of cabinet posts to the communist party of the country, where a decades-old conflict with leftist rebels has killed tens of thousands.

The Philippine Star reported Tuesday that the outspoken mayor said the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) might have the opportunity to fill posts in the Department of Agrarian Reform, Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Department of Labor and Employment and the Department of Social Welfare and Development.

“I have kept open [these department] because they said they are the most oppressed. Those are the only departments I can concede to them [leftist groups], provided they are qualified educationally,” Duterte said at a press conference Monday.

Referring to the CPP’s armed wing the New People’s Army (NPA), he underlined, “when I reach my oath-taking... they must realize I am the government and I am the enemy but I offer my hand in peace and we can talk.”

In Duterte’s 22 years as mayor, southern Davao City transformed for being regarded as the Philippines’ “murder capital” to a major bustling city in the underdeveloped Mindanao island region.

The 71-year-old -- who imposed bans on public smoking, and the selling of alcohol and the operation of entertainment spots past midnight -- won last week’s election on a crime-fighting campaign.

Before the May 9 polls, Duterte had invited the CPP’s exiled founder -- Jose Maria Sison, his former professor at a Manila university -- back to the Philippines.

“Yes, he [Sison] is welcome. I am happy with the statement that he is coming home,” Duterte reiterated Monday. “I would very much want to talk to him about resolving the insurgency problem.”

Sison, 77, currently resides in the Netherlands, having fled to Europe after peace talks with the Philippine government failed in 1987.

Since March 1969, the NPA has been waging one of Asia’s longest running insurgencies, mainly in the poorest regions of the Philippines.

According to government figures, the conflict has claimed around 40,000 lives, including more than 3,000 in the last eight years alone.

Philippine authorities have tagged the rebels as notorious extortionists and blamed them for harassing banana, pineapple and rubber plantations, as well as poultry farms and mining outfits.

The military estimated that the number of NPA members has dropped from a peak of 26,000 in the 1980s to less than 4,000.

In 2010, outgoing President Benigno Aquino III revived peace talks with the CPP, but shelved them in 2013, accusing the rebels -- who demanded that detained comrades be freed -- of insincerity in efforts to achieve a political settlement.

Duterte is set to assume office June 30.


source: News Feed
This news is a total 158 time has been read
UYARI: Küfür, hakaret, rencide edici cümleler veya imalar, inançlara saldırı içeren, imla kuralları ile yazılmamış,
Türkçe karakter kullanılmayan ve büyük harflerle yazılmış yorumlar onaylanmamaktadır.
This news yet comment has been added .
Other News
All Rights Reserved © May 2014 US Muslims | Unauthorized and the resources published.
Haber Scripti: CM Bilişim