By Hader Glang
ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines (AA) - President-elect Rodrigo Duterte has said he will not grant interviews until the end of his term of office to avoid further criticism and wrong statements.
A video posted by TV5 correspondent France Noguera on Facebook on Monday showed Duterte, being interviewed.
“I won’t grant interviews. Sorry. It’s really a boycott," he is seen to say.
"If there are interviews, there will be many mistakes, there will be many criticisms. So no interview, no criticism, no wrong statements, no nothing I’ll shut up. I really don’t want it anymore.”
Last week, the incoming president drew flak for a statement on media killings, claiming some slain media workers had received payoffs or were involved in shady deals.
The incoming president's executive assistant, Bong Go, has also said he would temporarily stop holding press conferences in order to avoid mistakes.
Instead, all statements will be coursed through the government television network PTV-4, the flagship government television network owned by the Philippine Government based in Quezon City, Metro Manila.
At his June 4 victory party, Duterte criticized a journalist for asking about a medical condition he has in a previous interview.
The media were always asking “impertinent questions,” he added
On Monday, Philstar reported that after saying he wouldn't apologize for such statements, Duterte slammed members of the medias.
“Go ahead, boycott me," it quoted him as saying. "As a matter of fact I’m urging you make this your last trip in Davao City.
"I hate giving interviews. I would be content with a camera and a cellphone taking pictures of me. Do not come here anymore. Make it the first time in the history of the republic. Do not cover me."