By Anees Bargouthi
HEBRON, Palestine (AA) – Palestinian journalist Mohammed al-Qeeq was released from an Israeli prison on Thursday.
The 33-year-old had ended his 94-day hunger strike earlier this year after an agreement was reached to release him from custody on May 19.
Al-Qeeq had lived in Ramallah, where he worked for al-Majd TV, a popular Arabic-language channel.
“During my hunger strike, I have always believed in the justice of my cause,” al-Qeeq told Anadolu Agency. “I have proved that the Israeli occupation only understands the language of force.”
Under Israel's policy of administrative detention, Palestinian prisoners can be held for up to one year without trial.
Over 7,000 Palestinians are currently languishing in prisons throughout the Jewish state, according to official Palestinian figures.
“Finally, Mohammed is among his family, where he can hold and kiss his son and daughter,” Fayha Shalash, al- Qeeq’s wife, told Anadolu Agency. “Mohammed’s release is a victory to all Palestinians and free people around the world.”