By Talha Ozturk
DOHA, Qatar (AA) - The glittery capital Doha is celebrating geek culture with a festival which kicked off Tuesday.
This year's Geekdom is being held under the theme Unleash Your Inner Geek.
Fahad Al Kuwari, the event's adviser, told Anadolu Agency this is a unique opportunity for aficionados of comic books, video games and VR technology.
"We offer the possibility of the artist to come and showcase their character designs, animated art and share with the community. Meanwhile, we have a series of talks that are happening in the festival. For the first time ever we are hosting an international guest, who is a dubbing artist…," said Kuwari.
Six gaming tournaments will be held at the festival.
"This year we are working together with the local gaming community and hosting a variety of gaming tournaments. These tournaments all have rewards. There are a total of six tournaments from fighting to sports and group games. Also for the first time, we are hosting board games," said Kuwari.
Visitors can also buy action figures.
"Another exciting thing is that we have an exhibition created by the official XM Studios, First 4 Figures and Prime 1 Studios. We have a selection of action figures and collectible pieces that are all for sale. Meanwhile, some of the items are prototypes and they are available for the pre-order," said Kuwari.
American actor Chace Crawford will also attend the festival.
"It is my first time in Qatar and its amazing to be here. I am a super geek in the heart so its super cool to see Geekdom. I love seeing action figures. I got to play some games and the decorations here are incredible," said Crawford, who is famous for his role in the series Gossip Girl.
A visitor, Yousif Riad, told Anadolu Agency that he loves Geekdom for bringing together people.
"I have been following Geekdom for the last two years. Geekdom is fun because it gathers people from the same kind of hobbies and interests. They all come together to meet up and do what they love doing. I love it that Geekdom brings comic books, the games and the action figures. For me, the game is the top thing at the event," said Riad.
Qatari game developer Khalifa al Kuwari who presented his game Jumbo said that visitors give him encouraging feedback.
"Jumbo is a platform game that is going to be realized by early 2020. The visitors come and try the game and give me feedback. So far, I have received very critical and beneficial feedbacks," said Kuwari.
The five-day event is being held as part of the ongoing Ajyal Film Festival.
- Pakistani pilots to get technical training in Turkey
- US position on Armenian claims not changed: US official
- Turkey's 1st gold medalist in men's ring aims Olympic medal
- US: Peace talks with Taliban halted after base attack
- NBA: Doncic in history books once again, Dallas wins
- EU expects vote on withdrawal agreement
- Germany: At least 25 people injured in explosion
- UPDATE - Japan’s premier cancels India visit amid protests
- Mevlana Rumi's poetry therapy for psychiatric patients in Kashmir
- Deepest point of earth's continents found in Antarctica
- 3 Indian states oppose new citizenship law
- UPDATE - Turkey seeks 266 with warrants for suspected FETO ties
- Daesh/ISIS bears responsibility for deadly Niger attack
- Merkel tops Forbes’ list of most powerful women
- Japan’s premier may cancel India visit amid protests
Qatar celebrates geek culture with 5-day festival
By Talha Ozturk