By Bayram Altug
GENEVA (AA) - Saudi Arabia on Thursday came out against an international inquiry into last year’s killing in Istanbul of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Bandar bin Mohammed al-Aiban, the head of the Saudi Human Rights Commission, told the UN Human Right Council in Geneva that Saudi Arabia rejects an international probe of the killing.
Speaking to the council, Al-Aiban said that Saudi authorities had taken necessary measures to solve this "heinous crime," including interrogating suspects and holding three trials.
"Justice in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia operates pursuant to international law, and it does so in all transparency," he added.
Turkey is among countries that have called for an international probe.
Khashoggi was killed shortly after he entered the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, 2018.
After a series of shifting explanation, Riyadh sought to blame his death on a botched rendition operation carried out by rogue agents.
Many international figures cast doubt on the explanation, with some arguing the killing could not have been carried out without the blessing of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
Despite the leak of many purported details about the case, Khashoggi’s body has yet to be found.