By Hassan Isilow
JOHANNESBURG (AA) - South Africa reported more than 3,000 new coronavirus cases Friday, bringing the number of infections to 762,763.
“Today we report with concern that the new cases identified in the past 24 hours are 3,105. We wish to highlight that we have breached the 3,000 mark for daily new cases,’’ according to Health Minister Zweli Mkhize. “We are concerned that the positivity is at 12%, which is higher than what is ideal at 10% or less.”
The top doctor said 88 people died from the virus that brought the number of fatalities to 20,759.
The cumulative number of tests conducted since the virus was first detected in the country eight months ago is 5.2 million, with nearly 30,000 new tests undergone in the past 24 hours.
At least, 707,040 patients have recovered, which translates to 92.7%, according to Mkhize.
South Africa has the highest case numbers on the continent and is the sixteenth most affected country globally.
- Amid Gulf talks, regional interests Qatar's 'priority'
- Gulf bloc hails 'progress' in talks on regional crisis
- Somalia fighting illegal cheetah trade
- '20M Spaniards may get COVID-19 shots before summer'
- Talks to resolve Gulf crisis have been fruitful: Kuwait
- US imposes more visas restrictions on Chinese officials
- Italy records slight fall in daily COVID-19 deaths
- Turkey-wide weekend curfew becomes effective
- New Montenegro government wins confidence vote
- UK's rate of COVID-19 infection slowing
- Turkmenistan's neutrality status discussed in Turkey
- NASA selects 4 companies to collect moon rocks
- World may face famines in coming period
- UK rights groups decry France's anti-Muslim drive
- Libya, Italy ink military cooperation deal
South Africa reports over 3K COVID-19 cases in one day
Nation has highest COVID-19 infections on continent, 16th most affected globally
This news is a total 21 time has been read
Amid Gulf talks, regional interests Qatar's 'priority'Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Oman hail Kuwait, US for efforts to resolve dispute
Gulf bloc hails 'progress' in talks on regional crisisThis reflects Gulf Cooperation Council's ability to overcome obstacles, challenges, says top official
Somalia fighting illegal cheetah tradeMost of trafficked cheetahs end up in Gulf countries, treated as pets
'20M Spaniards may get COVID-19 shots before summer'As virus figures continue to improve, Spain's premier says gov't aims to vaccinate vulnerable population by May, June
Talks to resolve Gulf crisis have been fruitful: KuwaitAll sides keen to reach final agreement, says top Kuwaiti diplomat