By Hassan Isilow
JOHANNESBURG (AA) - South Africa reported more than 3,000 new coronavirus cases Friday, bringing the number of infections to 762,763.
“Today we report with concern that the new cases identified in the past 24 hours are 3,105. We wish to highlight that we have breached the 3,000 mark for daily new cases,’’ according to Health Minister Zweli Mkhize. “We are concerned that the positivity is at 12%, which is higher than what is ideal at 10% or less.”
The top doctor said 88 people died from the virus that brought the number of fatalities to 20,759.
The cumulative number of tests conducted since the virus was first detected in the country eight months ago is 5.2 million, with nearly 30,000 new tests undergone in the past 24 hours.
At least, 707,040 patients have recovered, which translates to 92.7%, according to Mkhize.
South Africa has the highest case numbers on the continent and is the sixteenth most affected country globally.
- Over 2.84B coronavirus vaccine shots given worldwide
- Saudi-led coalition intercepts bomb-laden drone from Yemen
- Another family joins anti-PKK sit-in in southeastern Turkey
- 300 Kenyans leave al-Shabaab, surrender to authorities
- Pakistan fears 4th COVID-19 wave next month
- UN bodies say people in northwestern Syria facing 'worst situation'
- Greek health authorities alarmed over new coronavirus variant
- 2019 champion Halep withdraws from Wimbledon for injury
- UK Health Secretary Matt Hancock signals remaining in post amid alleged affair
- 15 UN peacekeepers injured in vehicle bomb attack in Mali
- Turkey arrests 7 PKK/KCK terror suspects
- World Bank approves $191M loan for higher education in Bangladesh
- Dutch fuels bound for Africa contain harmful substances, inspectors warn
- Turkish firm to export defense vehicles, 4x4 ambulances to Tunisia
- Rights body accuses Myanmar junta of harassing Muslims, setting mosque on fire
South Africa reports over 3K COVID-19 cases in one day
Nation has highest COVID-19 infections on continent, 16th most affected globally
This news is a total 42 time has been read
Over 2.84B coronavirus vaccine shots given worldwideTurkey ranks 9th with more than 46.07M jabs administered across country
Another family joins anti-PKK sit-in in southeastern TurkeyFamilies have been protesting for return of their children abducted by PKK terrorists since 2019
300 Kenyans leave al-Shabaab, surrender to authoritiesYoung unemployed Kenyans lured to Somalia by al-Shabaab terrorist group with financial offers
Pakistan fears 4th COVID-19 wave next monthGovernment urges people to follow health guidelines, get vaccinated as soon as possible
UN bodies say people in northwestern Syria facing 'worst situation'Cessation of health supplies will further worsen situation in northwest Syria, WHO spokesman says
- FBI agents shoot man outside CIA headquarters
- Fenerbahce football player contracts COVID-19
- NBA: Bucks acquire P.J. Tucker, Kurucs from Rockets
- UN mission in DRC condemns killing of Italian envoy
- Erdogan urges all parties to pitch in on new Constitution
- US: 1 dead, 4 injured in clinic shooting
- Tennis: Australian Open to kick off Monday
- NBA: Doncic's career-high leads Mavericks over Warriors
- Bayern Munich win German Super Cup
- China destroys 30,000 'inaccurate' world maps
- ISNA President Expresses Concerns on Gaza Crisis
- Attack on Muslims Outside Mosque in NY
- Tips For a Happy and Healthy Ramadan
- Red Meat Linked to Breast Cancer in Harvard Study
- Pilot’s miraculous landing