By Abdullah Yasin Guler
ANKARA (AA) - U.S. President Donald Trump has offered condolences to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on a phone call over Friday's deadly earthquake in eastern Turkey, according to the Turkey's communications directorate on Tuesday.
The 6.8-magnitude quake shook the eastern Elazig province late on Friday, killing 41 people, according to the Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD). Tremors were also felt in neighboring countries including Syria and Georgia.
Earlier on Monday, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca told reporters that 18 out of 86 injured people were under intensive care at medical facilities.
Out of 1,607 injured people, 1,516 have been discharged from the hospital, while 45 people who were trapped under the debris of houses and buildings have been rescued, AFAD said.
A total of 948 aftershocks were felt, it added.
AFAD said rescue work continues in the region with more than 3,800 personnel, hundreds of vehicles and 22 sniffer dogs.
* Writing by Erdogan Cagatay Zontur in Ankara