By Fahri Aksut
ANKARA (AA) – A total of 560 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists have been “neutralized” since the begining of Turkey's anti-terror operation in northern Syria, the National Defense Ministry said on Monday.
Turkish authorities often use the word "neutralized" to imply the terrorists in question surrendered or were killed or captured.
The ministry updated the figure in a Twitter post.
Turkey on Oct. 9 launched Operation Peace Spring to eliminate terrorists from northern Syria in order to secure Turkey’s borders, aid in the safe return of Syrian refugees, and ensure Syria’s territorial integrity.
Ankara wants to clear northern Syria east of the Euphrates River of the terrorist PKK and its Syrian offshoot, the PYD/YPG.
In its more than 30-year terror campaign against Turkey, the PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S., and the European Union -- has been responsible for deaths of 40,000 people, including women, children and infants.
- Syrian pianist reunited with family in Turkey
- Sun Goddess of Arinna on display in western Turkey
- Turkey: Autistic music prodigy plays 10 instruments
- Turkish-made mixture to extend accuracy life of guns
- Turkish artist to hold exhibit in Uzbekistan
- Terror-victim families protest HDP in eastern Turkey
- UN Security Council deadlocked on Myanmar
- Saudi-led coalition destroys 2 drones targeting Kingdom
- Former COVID-19 patients in Turkey share experiences
- Anadolu Agency's Morning Briefing - March 6, 2021
- EU: ‘Real opportunity’ to seize settlement in Cyprus
- Red Cross urges ‘protection’ of aid workers in Myanmar
- Russia extends Crimean Tatar leader’s ban to 2034
- Turkish clubs concerned, angry about referee decisions
Turkey 'neutralizes' 560 terrorists in Syria operation
By Fahri Aksut
- UN mission in DRC condemns killing of Italian envoy
- Erdogan urges all parties to pitch in on new Constitution
- US: 1 dead, 4 injured in clinic shooting
- Tennis: Australian Open to kick off Monday
- NBA: Doncic's career-high leads Mavericks over Warriors
- Bayern Munich win German Super Cup
- China destroys 30,000 'inaccurate' world maps
- ISNA President Expresses Concerns on Gaza Crisis
- Attack on Muslims Outside Mosque in NY
- Tips For a Happy and Healthy Ramadan
- Red Meat Linked to Breast Cancer in Harvard Study
- Pilot’s miraculous landing