By Ali Murat Alhas
ANKARA (AA) - As Turkey's anti-terror operation in northern Syria continues with great success, the number of "neutralized" YPG/PKK terrorists has climbed to 637, according to the country's National Defense Ministry.
The announcement came via the ministry's official Twitter account.
Turkish authorities often use the word "neutralized" in their statements to imply that the terrorists in question either surrendered or were killed or captured.
Turkey launched Operation Peace Spring on Oct. 9 to eliminate terrorists from northern Syria in order to secure Turkey’s borders, aid in the safe return of Syrian refugees, and ensure Syria’s territorial integrity.
Ankara wants to clear northern Syria east of the Euphrates River of the terrorist PKK and its Syrian offshoot, the PYD/YPG.
Turkey has said the PKK and the YPG/PYD constitute the biggest threats to Syria’s future, jeopardizing the country’s territorial integrity and unitary structure.
- 'Magic happened at Brussels donors' conference'
- Niger: 23 died in stampede at Nigerian refugee camp
- 13 al-Shabaab militants killed in Somalia
- Turkey's officials hold meeting to reverse brain drain
- UN launches $115m Libya appeal as violence worsens
- Angel investment forum gives Oscars of capital markets
- Turkey: Family reunites with their 'PKK-kidnapped' boy
- Paul Doany takes angel investment business school helm
- WBAF announces high commissioners, senators
- Feminist protest throughout Mexico over woman’s death
- Kenya-Turkey trade relations flourishing: Turkish envoy
- Turkey condemns Burkina Faso terror attack
- US retailer Pier 1 Imports files for bankruptcy
- EU plans new naval mission in Mediterranean
- UPDATE 2 - Russian, Turkish talks on Idlib to continue in Moscow
Turkey neutralizes 637 YPG/PKK terrorists in Syria
By Ali Murat Alhas