By Abdullah Celik
BINGOL, Turkey (AA) - More than a dozen people were convicted by Turkish courts on Friday over their links to the Daesh terror group.
After a 9-month investigation to unveil the terror group’s financial network, 40 suspects were remanded in custody on Sept. 13.
Nationwide counter-terror operations took place with a focus on the eastern province of Bingol.
Following judicial proceedings, 14 people were handed jail sentences, 23 were released on parole and three suspects were acquitted.
More than 300 people have been killed in attacks claimed by Daesh in Turkey, where the terrorist organization has targeted civilians in suicide bomb, rocket and gun attacks in recent years.
Turkish security forces have been involved in a long-running campaign to thwart Daesh attacks.
*Writing by Ali Murat Alhas
- Magnitude 5.9 earthquake rocks Greece
- Magnitude 8.1 earthquake hits northeastern New Zealand
- UPDATE - World offers condolences after Turkish helicopter crash
- Spain to tighten curfews, limit travel for Easter
- Turkish president offers condolences for 11 martyred soldiers
- UK: Study shows rate of COVID-19 case decline slowing
- Barcelona defender Pique suffers knee injury
- US puts 'onus' for ending Tigray suffering on Ethiopia
- 3 Indian soldiers commit suicide in Kashmir
- 11 soldiers injured in vehicle crash in SE Turkey
- UPDATE 4 - Turkey: 11 soldiers martyred in military helicopter crash
- UPDATE - US calls situation in coup-hit Myanmar 'troubling'
- Somalia: '1.6M people face acute food insecurity'
- Fenerbahce struggle to get home draw, Ozil injured
- Italy’s Democratic Party chief resigns amid divisions
Turkey sentences 14 people over Daesh links
By Abdullah Celik
- UN mission in DRC condemns killing of Italian envoy
- Erdogan urges all parties to pitch in on new Constitution
- US: 1 dead, 4 injured in clinic shooting
- Tennis: Australian Open to kick off Monday
- NBA: Doncic's career-high leads Mavericks over Warriors
- Bayern Munich win German Super Cup
- China destroys 30,000 'inaccurate' world maps
- ISNA President Expresses Concerns on Gaza Crisis
- Attack on Muslims Outside Mosque in NY
- Tips For a Happy and Healthy Ramadan
- Red Meat Linked to Breast Cancer in Harvard Study
- Pilot’s miraculous landing