By Abdullah Celik
BINGOL, Turkey (AA) - More than a dozen people were convicted by Turkish courts on Friday over their links to the Daesh terror group.
After a 9-month investigation to unveil the terror group’s financial network, 40 suspects were remanded in custody on Sept. 13.
Nationwide counter-terror operations took place with a focus on the eastern province of Bingol.
Following judicial proceedings, 14 people were handed jail sentences, 23 were released on parole and three suspects were acquitted.
More than 300 people have been killed in attacks claimed by Daesh in Turkey, where the terrorist organization has targeted civilians in suicide bomb, rocket and gun attacks in recent years.
Turkish security forces have been involved in a long-running campaign to thwart Daesh attacks.
*Writing by Ali Murat Alhas
- UPDATE - Turkey urges actors in Cyprus issue to 'be part of solution'
- British court gives 7 men life sentences in murder of Muslim woman
- Hundreds of World War I era hand grenades found in Turkey
- Turkey aims to bring all forest fires under control on Friday
- US Secretary of State, top Afghan official deplore Taliban attacks
- Mali to observe 3 days of mourning after deadly traffic accident
- US urges Iranian president to return to nuke talks 'soon'
- 76th anniversary of atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- Barcelona officially announce Lionel Messi's exit
- Sacked Tunisian premier submits assets declaration to authorities
- Turkey urges actors in Cyprus issue to 'be part of solution'
- UN rights chief sounds alarm at civilians' plight in southern Syrian city of Daraa
- France to face Russian Olympic Committee in Olympic volleyball final
- Anti-PKK sit-in protest continues in southeastern Turkey
- 12 FETO terror suspects arrested in Turkey
Turkey sentences 14 people over Daesh links
By Abdullah Celik
- FBI agents shoot man outside CIA headquarters
- Fenerbahce football player contracts COVID-19
- NBA: Bucks acquire P.J. Tucker, Kurucs from Rockets
- UN mission in DRC condemns killing of Italian envoy
- Erdogan urges all parties to pitch in on new Constitution
- US: 1 dead, 4 injured in clinic shooting
- Tennis: Australian Open to kick off Monday
- NBA: Doncic's career-high leads Mavericks over Warriors
- Bayern Munich win German Super Cup
- China destroys 30,000 'inaccurate' world maps
- ISNA President Expresses Concerns on Gaza Crisis
- Attack on Muslims Outside Mosque in NY
- Tips For a Happy and Healthy Ramadan
- Red Meat Linked to Breast Cancer in Harvard Study
- Pilot’s miraculous landing