By Ali Murat Alhas
ANKARA (AA) – A veteran Turkish actor on Thursday was nominated for the prestigious International Emmy Awards.
Haluk Bilginer was nominated in the best performance by an actor category of the International Emmy Awards for his acting skills in the TV series Sahsiyet (Persona).
In the miniseries, the 65-year-old plays a man diagnosed with Alzheimer's who is cursed to eventually lose all his memories.
Bilginer’s character, however, turns the ailment into an opportunity in which he can execute guilty people without any fear of suffering pangs of conscience.
The 12-episode series won acclaim from viewers both in Turkey and abroad; it is rated 9.1 out of 10 on the Internet Movie Database or IMDB.
Bilginer, with dozens of acting credits to his name, made his first appearance in the mid-1980s, in long-running British soap opera Eastenders.
He won the best supporting actor prize at the 1997 International Antalya Film Festival. In 2014, he won the FIPRESCI Prize at the Palm Springs International Film Festival for his performance in the acclaimed film Winter Sleep.
The 47th International Emmy Awards will be held in New York City on Nov. 25 with the participation of 44 nominees across 11 categories and 21 countries.
- Austria to cut unemployment pay to those who refuse COVID vaccine
- Ethiopia says aid delivery to Tigray continuing
- Egypt's Al-Azhar reiterates centrality of Palestinian cause to Muslims
- Tanzania acquits business tycoon in $122M energy scam
- Gap between Afghans, Syrians in asylum applications narrows: Study
- Turkey, Pakistan concerned over growing Islamophobia: Envoy
- Fenerbahce miss chance to win against Eintracht Frankfurt in Europa League
- US stock market ends lower except Nasdaq
- Tunisia's Ennahda urges for 'comprehensive national dialogue'
- PKK terrorists block implementing service projects in N.Iraq
- HRW: Armed groups kill nearly 700 in DR Congo since May
- Climate-related disasters killed 17,000 since COVID-19 began: report
- Activist speaks out on traditional dolphin slaughter off Denmark’s Faroe Islands
- Galatasaray defeat Lazio 1-0 in Europa League
- Obama calls his visit to Istanbul during his presidency 'wonderful'
Turkish actor gets nod for top international Emmy Award
By Ali Murat Alhas
- FBI agents shoot man outside CIA headquarters
- Fenerbahce football player contracts COVID-19
- NBA: Bucks acquire P.J. Tucker, Kurucs from Rockets
- UN mission in DRC condemns killing of Italian envoy
- Erdogan urges all parties to pitch in on new Constitution
- US: 1 dead, 4 injured in clinic shooting
- Tennis: Australian Open to kick off Monday
- NBA: Doncic's career-high leads Mavericks over Warriors
- Bayern Munich win German Super Cup
- China destroys 30,000 'inaccurate' world maps
- ISNA President Expresses Concerns on Gaza Crisis
- Attack on Muslims Outside Mosque in NY
- Tips For a Happy and Healthy Ramadan
- Red Meat Linked to Breast Cancer in Harvard Study
- Pilot’s miraculous landing