By Ali Murat Alhas
ANKARA (AA) – A veteran Turkish actor on Thursday was nominated for the prestigious International Emmy Awards.
Haluk Bilginer was nominated in the best performance by an actor category of the International Emmy Awards for his acting skills in the TV series Sahsiyet (Persona).
In the miniseries, the 65-year-old plays a man diagnosed with Alzheimer's who is cursed to eventually lose all his memories.
Bilginer’s character, however, turns the ailment into an opportunity in which he can execute guilty people without any fear of suffering pangs of conscience.
The 12-episode series won acclaim from viewers both in Turkey and abroad; it is rated 9.1 out of 10 on the Internet Movie Database or IMDB.
Bilginer, with dozens of acting credits to his name, made his first appearance in the mid-1980s, in long-running British soap opera Eastenders.
He won the best supporting actor prize at the 1997 International Antalya Film Festival. In 2014, he won the FIPRESCI Prize at the Palm Springs International Film Festival for his performance in the acclaimed film Winter Sleep.
The 47th International Emmy Awards will be held in New York City on Nov. 25 with the participation of 44 nominees across 11 categories and 21 countries.
- Algeria’s Tebboune arrives in Egypt for official visit
- US stock markets close with gains after dramatic comeback
- Malawian president dissolves Cabinet over corruption scandal
- Ethiopia pledges to airlift humanitarian supplies to Tigray
- Director of Tunisian president’s office resigns
- Hungary calls on EU to support Turkiye in fighting irregular migration
- Maccabi Playtika Tel Aviv vs. Fenerbahce Beko match suspended due to coronavirus
- UPDATE - Istanbul Airport temporarily shut to flights due to heavy snowfall
- NASA’s James Webb Telescope reaches its destination in space
- Gambia beat Guinea 1-0 to reach quarterfinals at their 1st-ever AFCON
- UPDATE - Former Lebanese premier Hariri suspends political work
- UPDATE 2 - 3 protesters killed in demonstrations in Sudan
- UN chief calls on Burkina Faso junta to lay down arms after coup
- US uses missile interceptors to thwart Houthi attack on UAE
- US puts 8,500 troops on standby for deployment amid Russia tensions
Turkish actor gets nod for top international Emmy Award
By Ali Murat Alhas
- FBI agents shoot man outside CIA headquarters
- Fenerbahce football player contracts COVID-19
- NBA: Bucks acquire P.J. Tucker, Kurucs from Rockets
- UN mission in DRC condemns killing of Italian envoy
- Erdogan urges all parties to pitch in on new Constitution
- US: 1 dead, 4 injured in clinic shooting
- Tennis: Australian Open to kick off Monday
- NBA: Doncic's career-high leads Mavericks over Warriors
- Bayern Munich win German Super Cup
- China destroys 30,000 'inaccurate' world maps
- ISNA President Expresses Concerns on Gaza Crisis
- Attack on Muslims Outside Mosque in NY
- Tips For a Happy and Healthy Ramadan
- Red Meat Linked to Breast Cancer in Harvard Study
- Pilot’s miraculous landing