By Nilay Kar Onum
ISTANBUL (AA) – Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu rejected on Thursday claims that the modernization of German-made Leopard tanks used by Turkish Armed Forces has been canceled.
“There would have been a commission meeting [in Germany] about Leopard tanks. This has been delayed. There is no suspension or cancelation,” Cavusoglu told reporters.
“We expect support and solidarity from our ally Germany, with which we’ve started fixing relations and taking positive steps, while we are fighting against terrorism," Turkish FM noted.
On Saturday, Turkey launched Operation Olive Branch to remove PYD/PKK and Daesh terrorists from Afrin.
According to the Turkish General Staff, the operation aims to establish security and stability along Turkish borders and the region as well as to protect the Syrian people from the oppression and cruelty of terrorists.
The operation is being carried out under the framework of Turkey’s rights based on international law, UN Security Council’s decisions, self-defense rights under the UN charter and respect for Syria's territorial integrity, it said.
Afrin has been a major hideout for the PYD/PKK since July 2012 when the Assad regime in Syria left the city to the terror group without putting up a fight.
- Turkey ranks 1st in rise of int'l patent applications
- ANALYSIS - 2020 U.S. Presidential Election: Suddenly, clarity
- Iran: Coronavirus death toll jumps to 4,110
- DRCongo: Virus cases above 200, deaths at 20
- Ecuador launches inquiry into handling of virus deaths
- COVID-19: Cases top 10,000 as Russia sees record spike
- Iraqi president names Mustafa al-Kadhimi to form gov't
- Spain: Political tensions mount as deaths pass 15,000
- Iraqi premier-designate Al-Zurfi opts out of forming cabinet
- Yemen accuses Houthis of breaching cease-fire
- Turkey: New measure would protect healthcare workers
- Turkey: Raids target illegal mask, sanitizer producers
- Sub-Saharan Africa set for recession: World Bank
- COVID-19: Fenerbahce to send aid parcels to members
- Russia: 4 killed, 16 injured in fire at care home
Turkish FM denies Leopard tanks upgrade cancelled
By Nilay Kar Onum