By Nilay Kar Onum
ISTANBUL (AA) – Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu rejected on Thursday claims that the modernization of German-made Leopard tanks used by Turkish Armed Forces has been canceled.
“There would have been a commission meeting [in Germany] about Leopard tanks. This has been delayed. There is no suspension or cancelation,” Cavusoglu told reporters.
“We expect support and solidarity from our ally Germany, with which we’ve started fixing relations and taking positive steps, while we are fighting against terrorism," Turkish FM noted.
On Saturday, Turkey launched Operation Olive Branch to remove PYD/PKK and Daesh terrorists from Afrin.
According to the Turkish General Staff, the operation aims to establish security and stability along Turkish borders and the region as well as to protect the Syrian people from the oppression and cruelty of terrorists.
The operation is being carried out under the framework of Turkey’s rights based on international law, UN Security Council’s decisions, self-defense rights under the UN charter and respect for Syria's territorial integrity, it said.
Afrin has been a major hideout for the PYD/PKK since July 2012 when the Assad regime in Syria left the city to the terror group without putting up a fight.
- Saudi police: Riyadh's shooting targeted toy drone
- Palestine to fight US move on Jerusalem: Mahmoud Abbas
- Over 50 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- UPDATE 2 - Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- French, Egyptian presidents discuss Syria over phone
- UPDATE - Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- Chemical weapons watchdog team visits Syria’s Douma
- Figo's team beat Ronaldinho's in UEFA-UN match
- UPDATE 2 - Palestinian lecturer shot dead in Malaysia
- PKK terrorist on wanted list killed in eastern Turkey
- CORRECTS - Wars killed 12.5M Muslims in last 25 years: Expert
- Wars killed 12.5M Muslims in last 25 years: Expert
- PKK terror attack kills civilian in eastern Turkey
- UPDATE - Greece became safe haven for criminals: Turkey's Gul
Turkish FM denies Leopard tanks upgrade cancelled
By Nilay Kar Onum