By Nilay Kar Onum
ISTANBUL (AA) – Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu rejected on Thursday claims that the modernization of German-made Leopard tanks used by Turkish Armed Forces has been canceled.
“There would have been a commission meeting [in Germany] about Leopard tanks. This has been delayed. There is no suspension or cancelation,” Cavusoglu told reporters.
“We expect support and solidarity from our ally Germany, with which we’ve started fixing relations and taking positive steps, while we are fighting against terrorism," Turkish FM noted.
On Saturday, Turkey launched Operation Olive Branch to remove PYD/PKK and Daesh terrorists from Afrin.
According to the Turkish General Staff, the operation aims to establish security and stability along Turkish borders and the region as well as to protect the Syrian people from the oppression and cruelty of terrorists.
The operation is being carried out under the framework of Turkey’s rights based on international law, UN Security Council’s decisions, self-defense rights under the UN charter and respect for Syria's territorial integrity, it said.
Afrin has been a major hideout for the PYD/PKK since July 2012 when the Assad regime in Syria left the city to the terror group without putting up a fight.
- US-led coalition strikes mosque in eastern Syria
- Death toll from landslide in Malaysia rises to 9
- Saudi Khashoggi account not credible: UK foreign sec.
- US senator calls for expulsion of Saudi ambassador
- Mobs loot, burn Nigerian shops in South Africa
- Turkish soldier martyred in northern Iraq
- Macedonia moves ahead with name change
- Israel releases detained Palestinian intelligence chief
- Turkey's new UK ambassador visits Anadolu Agency
- UPDATE - Israel official slams Jordan peace treaty modifications
- Turkey receives over 84,000 trademark applications
- UPDATE - 'Khashoggi issue does not concern only Riyadh, Ankara'
- British PM Theresa May condemns Khashoggi murder
- Son of Iraq’s first king passes away at US hospital
- Turkish cop cries for migrant child fighting for life
Turkish FM denies Leopard tanks upgrade cancelled
By Nilay Kar Onum