By Nilay Kar Onum
ISTANBUL (AA) – Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu rejected on Thursday claims that the modernization of German-made Leopard tanks used by Turkish Armed Forces has been canceled.
“There would have been a commission meeting [in Germany] about Leopard tanks. This has been delayed. There is no suspension or cancelation,” Cavusoglu told reporters.
“We expect support and solidarity from our ally Germany, with which we’ve started fixing relations and taking positive steps, while we are fighting against terrorism," Turkish FM noted.
On Saturday, Turkey launched Operation Olive Branch to remove PYD/PKK and Daesh terrorists from Afrin.
According to the Turkish General Staff, the operation aims to establish security and stability along Turkish borders and the region as well as to protect the Syrian people from the oppression and cruelty of terrorists.
The operation is being carried out under the framework of Turkey’s rights based on international law, UN Security Council’s decisions, self-defense rights under the UN charter and respect for Syria's territorial integrity, it said.
Afrin has been a major hideout for the PYD/PKK since July 2012 when the Assad regime in Syria left the city to the terror group without putting up a fight.
- Borsa Istanbul down at opening on Friday
- Japan slams annulment of Myanmar elections by junta
- Zimbabwe’s rural townships on verge of economic extinction
- Palestinian women in Israeli prisons keep bonds of friendship alive
- Taliban’s capture of border crossings deprives Afghan gov’t of revenue
- Death toll in Afghan flash floods rises to 80
- Lakers to sign Russell Westbrook in trade with Wizards
- COVID-19 claims 68 more in Cuba
- Over 145 irregular migrants held in central Turkey
- Anadolu Agency's Morning Briefing - July 30, 2021
- Busenaz Surmeneli reaches semi-finals at Tokyo Olympics
- Israel's Ben Gurion airport resumes flights after brief closure
- Saudi Arabia to allow visits by fully vaccinated tourists as of August
- Tunisia embarks on difficult path after president's 'coup' decision
Turkish FM denies Leopard tanks upgrade cancelled
By Nilay Kar Onum
- FBI agents shoot man outside CIA headquarters
- Fenerbahce football player contracts COVID-19
- NBA: Bucks acquire P.J. Tucker, Kurucs from Rockets
- UN mission in DRC condemns killing of Italian envoy
- Erdogan urges all parties to pitch in on new Constitution
- US: 1 dead, 4 injured in clinic shooting
- Tennis: Australian Open to kick off Monday
- NBA: Doncic's career-high leads Mavericks over Warriors
- Bayern Munich win German Super Cup
- China destroys 30,000 'inaccurate' world maps
- ISNA President Expresses Concerns on Gaza Crisis
- Attack on Muslims Outside Mosque in NY
- Tips For a Happy and Healthy Ramadan
- Red Meat Linked to Breast Cancer in Harvard Study
- Pilot’s miraculous landing