By Nilay Kar Onum
ISTANBUL (AA) – Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu rejected on Thursday claims that the modernization of German-made Leopard tanks used by Turkish Armed Forces has been canceled.
“There would have been a commission meeting [in Germany] about Leopard tanks. This has been delayed. There is no suspension or cancelation,” Cavusoglu told reporters.
“We expect support and solidarity from our ally Germany, with which we’ve started fixing relations and taking positive steps, while we are fighting against terrorism," Turkish FM noted.
On Saturday, Turkey launched Operation Olive Branch to remove PYD/PKK and Daesh terrorists from Afrin.
According to the Turkish General Staff, the operation aims to establish security and stability along Turkish borders and the region as well as to protect the Syrian people from the oppression and cruelty of terrorists.
The operation is being carried out under the framework of Turkey’s rights based on international law, UN Security Council’s decisions, self-defense rights under the UN charter and respect for Syria's territorial integrity, it said.
Afrin has been a major hideout for the PYD/PKK since July 2012 when the Assad regime in Syria left the city to the terror group without putting up a fight.
- Spain: Police arrest 4 in Catalonia amid general strike
- 200 troops to stay in Syria after pullout: White House
- UPDATE - Erdogan, Trump discuss Syria, economic ties over phone
- Erdogan, Trump discuss Syria, economic ties over phone
- Galatasaray out of UEFA Europa League tournament
- UPDATE: 5 killed when car explodes in Syria's Jarabulus
- UPDATE - US doubles down on Daesh bride, calls her 'terrorist'
- EuroLeague: Anadolu Efes beat Olympiakos
- Pro-Haftar fighters occupy oilfield in southern Libya
- UPDATE - Venezuela's Maduro to close borders with Brazil
- Fenerbahce eliminated from UEFA Europa League
- Int'l Mother Language day marked in Ankara
- Youth in Brussels protest government's climate policies
- Brexit: Corbyn says second referendum on agenda
- Car explodes in Jarabulus, casualty unclear
Turkish FM denies Leopard tanks upgrade cancelled
By Nilay Kar Onum