By Nilay Kar Onum
ISTANBUL (AA) – Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu rejected on Thursday claims that the modernization of German-made Leopard tanks used by Turkish Armed Forces has been canceled.
“There would have been a commission meeting [in Germany] about Leopard tanks. This has been delayed. There is no suspension or cancelation,” Cavusoglu told reporters.
“We expect support and solidarity from our ally Germany, with which we’ve started fixing relations and taking positive steps, while we are fighting against terrorism," Turkish FM noted.
On Saturday, Turkey launched Operation Olive Branch to remove PYD/PKK and Daesh terrorists from Afrin.
According to the Turkish General Staff, the operation aims to establish security and stability along Turkish borders and the region as well as to protect the Syrian people from the oppression and cruelty of terrorists.
The operation is being carried out under the framework of Turkey’s rights based on international law, UN Security Council’s decisions, self-defense rights under the UN charter and respect for Syria's territorial integrity, it said.
Afrin has been a major hideout for the PYD/PKK since July 2012 when the Assad regime in Syria left the city to the terror group without putting up a fight.
- Maradona's friend: Diego to remain greatest in game
- Italy records fewer virus deaths, infection slows
- 4 Azerbaijani civilians killed in mine explosion
- Turkish football club reports dozens of COVID-19 cases
- Iranian scientists top targets for assassins since 2010
- Ethiopia ends 'main' operation in northern Tigray
- Hussein Ibrahim Taha to head Muslim bloc OIC
- Injured Ljajic ruled out of Besiktas, Fenerbahce derby
- Azerbaijan: Residents recall lost glory of Aghdam city
- Turkey reports over 30,000 new coronavirus infections
- New Zealand terrorism report 'suppressed' for 30 years
- Bangladesh donates $500,000 to Gambia for Rohingya case
- Israeli missions on alert after Fakhrizadeh's murder
- 'PKK terrorists fought in Armenian ranks in Karabakh'
- Retaliate or not?: Iran's media on scientist's murder
Turkish FM denies Leopard tanks upgrade cancelled
By Nilay Kar Onum