By Ali Murat Alhas
ANKARA (AA) – In airstrikes on terrorist elements in northern Iraq, Turkish fighter jets Thursday "neutralized" three PKK terrorists, said an official statement.
The airstrikes in Avasin were done in coordination with Turkey’s ongoing counter-terror operations in northern Iraq, said a National Defense Ministry statement.
Turkish authorities often use the word "neutralized" to imply the terrorists in question surrendered or were killed or captured.
The counter-terrorism operations were supported by the Turkish Armed Forces, police, gendarmerie, and the National Intelligence service (MIT).
PKK terrorists often use northern Iraq to plan cross-border terrorist attacks in Turkey.
On May 27, Turkey launched Operation Claw against the PKK in the Hakurk region of northern Iraq.
In mid-July and late August, Turkey also launched Operation Claw-2 and Operation Claw-3 in northern Iraq with the same purpose.
Over 400 PKK terrorists have been “neutralized” in northern Iraq over the past four months, according to the ministry.
In its more than 30-year terror campaign against Turkey, the PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S., and the EU -- has been responsible for the deaths of 40,000 people, including women, children, and infants.
- Two more sports events called off in virus-hit China
- Oil prices down with rising US crude stock, coronavirus
- US crude oil inventories show less-than-expected rise
- Deescalation deal with Taliban on Feb. 29: Pompeo
- Trump criticizes South Korea’s Parasite Oscar win
- Coronavirus death toll in Iran rises to 4
- Sudan: 53 people injured in anti-army protests
- Missiles fired from Yemen intercepted: Saudi Arabia
- Heads roll over coronavirus outbreak in China prisons
- Iran votes to elect new parliament
- Iraq's Hashd al-Shaabi names new deputy leader
- Morales slams electoral body's disqualification ruling
- Third doctor dies of coronavirus in China
- Flying to Portugal, Turkish Airlines outdistances world giants
- Turkey’s external assets increase at end-2019
Turkish jets neutralize 3 terrorists in northern Iraq
By Ali Murat Alhas