By Ali Murat Alhas
ANKARA (AA) – In airstrikes on terrorist elements in northern Iraq, Turkish fighter jets Thursday "neutralized" three PKK terrorists, said an official statement.
The airstrikes in Avasin were done in coordination with Turkey’s ongoing counter-terror operations in northern Iraq, said a National Defense Ministry statement.
Turkish authorities often use the word "neutralized" to imply the terrorists in question surrendered or were killed or captured.
The counter-terrorism operations were supported by the Turkish Armed Forces, police, gendarmerie, and the National Intelligence service (MIT).
PKK terrorists often use northern Iraq to plan cross-border terrorist attacks in Turkey.
On May 27, Turkey launched Operation Claw against the PKK in the Hakurk region of northern Iraq.
In mid-July and late August, Turkey also launched Operation Claw-2 and Operation Claw-3 in northern Iraq with the same purpose.
Over 400 PKK terrorists have been “neutralized” in northern Iraq over the past four months, according to the ministry.
In its more than 30-year terror campaign against Turkey, the PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S., and the EU -- has been responsible for the deaths of 40,000 people, including women, children, and infants.
- COVID-19: Israel cases top 9,000, death toll at 59
- Turkey's Borsa Istanbul starts Tuesday 1.20% up
- COVID-19: Australia death toll at 46, cases near 6,000
- 'No long-term harm to athletes with mild coronavirus'
- India: Experts urge more testing as COVID-19 cases rise
- Turkey subjects lemon to export control amid COVID-19
- Turkey ‘neutralizes’ 9 YPG/PKK terrorists in N Syria
- Australia: Top court overturns Cardinal Pell conviction
- Turkey takes sweeping steps to cushion coronavirus fallout
- Anadolu Agency's Morning Briefing - April 7, 2020
- China reports no new deaths from COVID-19 for 1st time
- US Navy chief apologizes for calling captain 'stupid'
- Turkish minister marks Anadolu Agency's 100th year
- Coronavirus continues to spread in Arab countries
Turkish jets neutralize 3 terrorists in northern Iraq
By Ali Murat Alhas