By Ali Murat Alhas
ANKARA (AA) – In airstrikes on terrorist elements in northern Iraq, Turkish fighter jets Thursday "neutralized" three PKK terrorists, said an official statement.
The airstrikes in Avasin were done in coordination with Turkey’s ongoing counter-terror operations in northern Iraq, said a National Defense Ministry statement.
Turkish authorities often use the word "neutralized" to imply the terrorists in question surrendered or were killed or captured.
The counter-terrorism operations were supported by the Turkish Armed Forces, police, gendarmerie, and the National Intelligence service (MIT).
PKK terrorists often use northern Iraq to plan cross-border terrorist attacks in Turkey.
On May 27, Turkey launched Operation Claw against the PKK in the Hakurk region of northern Iraq.
In mid-July and late August, Turkey also launched Operation Claw-2 and Operation Claw-3 in northern Iraq with the same purpose.
Over 400 PKK terrorists have been “neutralized” in northern Iraq over the past four months, according to the ministry.
In its more than 30-year terror campaign against Turkey, the PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S., and the EU -- has been responsible for the deaths of 40,000 people, including women, children, and infants.
- UPDATE - Turkish party leader returns to office after treatment
- Nobel prize in economics won by Banerjee, Duflo, Kremer
- Jewish settlers storm Al-Aqsa to celebrate Sukkot
- Death toll from Japan typhoon rises to 44
- Turkey: Over 3,700 irregular migrants held in past week
- Turkish drones hit YPG/PKK with pinpoint accuracy
- Catalan separatist leaders receive 9-13 years in prison
- Turkish party leader returns to office after treatment
- Erdogan blasts global smear campaign on Turkey's op
- Turkey 'determined' to carry on Operation Peace Spring
- TurkStat announces August industrial output index
- Int'l Business Forum to support Bosnia's development
- Turkey's Borsa Istanbul down at open
- Israel police arrest Jerusalem governor
- Tanzania's hunters, gatherers strive to protect wildlife
Turkish jets neutralize 3 terrorists in northern Iraq
By Ali Murat Alhas