By Ali Murat Alhas
ANKARA (AA) – In airstrikes on terrorist elements in northern Iraq, Turkish fighter jets Thursday "neutralized" three PKK terrorists, said an official statement.
The airstrikes in Avasin were done in coordination with Turkey’s ongoing counter-terror operations in northern Iraq, said a National Defense Ministry statement.
Turkish authorities often use the word "neutralized" to imply the terrorists in question surrendered or were killed or captured.
The counter-terrorism operations were supported by the Turkish Armed Forces, police, gendarmerie, and the National Intelligence service (MIT).
PKK terrorists often use northern Iraq to plan cross-border terrorist attacks in Turkey.
On May 27, Turkey launched Operation Claw against the PKK in the Hakurk region of northern Iraq.
In mid-July and late August, Turkey also launched Operation Claw-2 and Operation Claw-3 in northern Iraq with the same purpose.
Over 400 PKK terrorists have been “neutralized” in northern Iraq over the past four months, according to the ministry.
In its more than 30-year terror campaign against Turkey, the PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S., and the EU -- has been responsible for the deaths of 40,000 people, including women, children, and infants.
- Australia tells UN it wants coronavirus pandemic probe to prevent others
- Tunisian Workers' Party starts talks to counter president's measures
- UK’s lowest payout for Afghan civilian death was $142.42
- Pakistan premier calls for global dialogue on Islamophobia
- 11 civilians killed in attack at shopping mall in northeast DR Congo
- Top Turkish official meets with Russian, French diplomats in New York
- Airlines suspend flights after volcanic eruption in Spain
- Bangladesh wants world to play constructive role in permanent solution to Rohingya crisis
- Greece seeks cooperation with Turkey: Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis
- Canadian court frees Meng after lawyers strike deal with US Justice Dept.
- Turkish envoy in Afghanistan meets Taliban leaders
- Rwanda names 24 mountain baby gorillas in virtual ceremony
- Rwanda’s Kagame assures Mozambique of support on visit to troops
- New Zealand calls for ‘more open and inclusive’ trade
- Canada's Indigenous peoples receive written apology for Catholic Church residential school role
Turkish jets neutralize 3 terrorists in northern Iraq
By Ali Murat Alhas
- FBI agents shoot man outside CIA headquarters
- Fenerbahce football player contracts COVID-19
- NBA: Bucks acquire P.J. Tucker, Kurucs from Rockets
- UN mission in DRC condemns killing of Italian envoy
- Erdogan urges all parties to pitch in on new Constitution
- US: 1 dead, 4 injured in clinic shooting
- Tennis: Australian Open to kick off Monday
- NBA: Doncic's career-high leads Mavericks over Warriors
- Bayern Munich win German Super Cup
- China destroys 30,000 'inaccurate' world maps
- ISNA President Expresses Concerns on Gaza Crisis
- Attack on Muslims Outside Mosque in NY
- Tips For a Happy and Healthy Ramadan
- Red Meat Linked to Breast Cancer in Harvard Study
- Pilot’s miraculous landing