By Riyaz ul Khaliq
ANKARA (AA) - At least 13 people were killed and many evacuated after a high-speed typhoon hit parts of the Philippines, according to local reports.
According to daily Manila Times, 13 people were killed in the onslaught of Typhoon "Kammuri" -- locally called Tisoy.
Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration officials confirmed the typhoon has "weakened" and is now headed out of the country as "tropical cyclone warnings in all areas have been lifted before Wednesday noon," the report said.
A number of schools were suspended in Pangasinan province due to the onslaught of the typhoon.
Most of the fatalities were reported from the regions of Mimaropa and Bicol.
However, several media reports claim that the death toll has risen to 17.
Around 500,000 people have been evacuated in several areas while daily life was also disrupted due to incessant rains and waterlogging.
The seat of governance Metro Manila is also expecting "frequent to continuous heavy to intense rains" on Wednesday, weather officials said, adding that the typhoon is expected to exit the Philippines later in the day.
The typhoon had made its first landfall in the country on Nov. 30 and has made four landfalls since then. The typhoon is said to be the strongest storm this year with the highest wind speed.
The country's agricultural authorities reported on Wednesday that the initial damage and losses to the agriculture sector due to Tisoy have reached 531.61 million Philippines peso (approx. $10.4 million).