UPDATES DEATH TOLL
TEHRAN (AA) – At least two people were killed in a car bombing in Iran’s southeastern city of Chabahar on Thursday, according to a local official.
Provincial governor Rahmdel Bamri told local media a booby-trapped vehicle attempted to enter a police headquarters in the city.
However, the bomb went off at the entrance of the facility after security guards intercepted the vehicle.
Bamri said in an earlier statement that four people had been killed before telling state T.V. that only two people were killed and at least 27 people were reportedly injured in the attack.
The injured have been transferred to hospitals for treatment.
Iranian media reported that the attack was claimed by the Ansar Al-Furqan, a Baloch militant organization designated as a terrorist group by Iranian authorities.
However, Brigadier General Mohammad Pakpour, commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, denied the claim, saying "no group or individual has until the moment claimed responsibility for the attack.