ADDS REACTIONS BY GERMANY
HAKKARI, Turkey (AA) - Five civilians have now been reported dead in Sunday's PKK terror attack in Turkey's southeastern Hakkari province, said the governorate.
On Sunday, eight civilians had been reported killed in the attack but the death toll has been revised by the Hakkari governorate.
The governorate said in a statement Monday that five civilians had been killed while 10 soldiers were martyred in the attack.
The statement added the PKK had assaulted Turkish security forces with a bomb-laden vehicle in Hakkari's Semdinli district, injuring 13 soldiers and 13 civilians.
Eight soldiers and 12 civilians are still being treated in hospitals in the Hakkari and Van provinces.
The statement added that one of the civilians killed was Iranian.
- World reactions
On Monday, Germany joined in condemning the PKK's attack.
“Nothing can justify such terrorist attacks,” the German Foreign Ministry’s deputy spokeswoman Sawsan Chebli said at a news conference on Monday.
She also expressed concern over growing tensions in Turkey’s southeast amid recent terrorist attacks by the PKK.
Chebli said, recent developments have demonstrated the need for reviving the stalled process for a solution to the 30-year conflict.
“Germany’s federal government is ready to support this process,” she stressed.
On Sunday, the U.S., and the European Union issued statements that strongly condemned the PKK's violent actions.
Turkey's close allies Qatar and Pakistan also denounced the terrorist attack and reaffirmed solidarity with Turkey.
The PKK is listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S., and the EU, which resumed its 30-year armed campaign against the Turkish state in July 2015.
Since then, PKK terrorist attacks have martyred more than 600 security personnel and also claimed the lives of numerous civilians, including women and children, while more than 7,000 PKK terrorists have been killed in army operations.
- Peru, Panama introduce gender-based rules for COVID-19
- Libya: GNA forces kill 20 Haftar militia members
- Palestine extends coronavirus lockdown by one month
- Libya confirms first death from COVID-19
- Iraq suspends Reuters' operations over COVID-19 report
- Watchdog NGO launches wildlife trade portal
- Turkish presidency warns of data security over COVID-19
- NATO should strengthen its political role: Turkish FM
- Trump's second coronavirus test comes back negative
- COVID-19 requires global response: Turkish FM
- Malawi confirms its first three cases of coronavirus
- UPDATE 4 - COVID-19 infections surge in several Arab countries
- Brent oil climbs above $30 after Trump's tweet
- Yemen court starts trial of Houthi leaders in absentia
- UPDATE - Twitter shutters anti-Turkey Saudi, Egyptian accounts
UPDATE - Death toll revised in Sunday's PKK attack in SE Turkey
ADDS REACTIONS BY GERMANY