ADDS FIVE PKK MEMBERS KILLED
By Serdar Acil
MARDIN, Turkey (AA) – Five PKK terrorists were killed in a military operation in southeastern Turkey after two security forces were martyred in an attack, according to military sources.
The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity as they are not authorized to speak to media, said the security forces carried out the operation in a building and clashed with terrorists in Nusaybin district of Mardin province.
Five of the terrorists who fired and hurled hand grenades at security forces were killed on Yenisehir street of Nusaybin, said the sources.
Earlier, two security forces, including a Turkish soldier and a police officer, were martyred in Nusaybin and nine other security personnel were injured, one of them in critical condition.
Also on Thursday, one soldier was martyred and another wounded after a PKK terrorist attack in Ovacik district of Tunceli province.
A gunfight erupted after the soldiers retaliated and initially wounded two soldiers. One soldier, who was airlifted to a university hospital in the neighboring Elazig province, succumbed to his injuries.
The PKK - listed as a terrorist organization also by Turkey, the U.S., and the EU - resumed its 30-year armed campaign against the Turkish state in July 2015.
Since then, nearly 500 security personnel, including troops, police officers, and village guards, have been martyred, and over 4,900 PKK terrorists killed in operations across Turkey and northern Iraq.
*Anadolu Agency Correspondent Servet Gunerigok contributed to this story from Ankara.
- Anadolu Agency's Morning Briefing – April 12, 2021
- Around 11,000 people in Yemen live with HIV: UN
- France registers over 34,800 new coronavirus cases
- Michel, von der Leyen are 'inexperienced strikers’
- Inter Milan beat Cagliari with late winner
- Besiktas win critical league match but lose Cenk Tosun
- France to boost vigilance around Muslim worship places
- French interior minister condemns attack on mosque
- France dismisses reports of tensions with Algeria
- Militants destroy 3 aid facilities in NE Nigeria: UN
- Peru heads to polls to elect new president
- COVID-19: Turkey's Razgatlioglu tests positive again
- Real Madrid winger Lucas Vazquez injured
- Women protest against fashion show in Kashmir
- Kyrgyzstan votes to switch to presidential rule
UPDATE - Two security forces martyred in SE Turkey operation
ADDS FIVE PKK MEMBERS KILLED
- Fenerbahce football player contracts COVID-19
- NBA: Bucks acquire P.J. Tucker, Kurucs from Rockets
- UN mission in DRC condemns killing of Italian envoy
- Erdogan urges all parties to pitch in on new Constitution
- US: 1 dead, 4 injured in clinic shooting
- Tennis: Australian Open to kick off Monday
- NBA: Doncic's career-high leads Mavericks over Warriors
- Bayern Munich win German Super Cup
- China destroys 30,000 'inaccurate' world maps
- ISNA President Expresses Concerns on Gaza Crisis
- Attack on Muslims Outside Mosque in NY
- Tips For a Happy and Healthy Ramadan
- Red Meat Linked to Breast Cancer in Harvard Study
- Pilot’s miraculous landing