By Beyza Binnur Donmez
ANKARA (AA) - The governor of the U.S. state of Connecticut confirmed Wednesday a six-week-old newborn died from the novel coronavirus, marking the second infant death in the country.
Ned Lamont said on Twitter the infant from the Hartford area "was brought unresponsive to a hospital late last week and could not be revived."
Lamont noted the newborn tested positive Tuesday for COVID-19.
"This is absolutely heartbreaking. We believe this is one of the youngest lives lost anywhere due to complications relating to COVID-19," he added.
The governor said the loss proves the importance of staying home and limiting exposure to others. "Your life and the lives of others could literally depend on it," he said. "Our prayers are with the family at this difficult time.”
The death comes days after officials in the state of Illinois reported Saturday the first death of an infant from the virus. The less than a one-year-old in Chicago was tested positive for the virus.
The U.S. exceeded 206,000 coronavirus infections Wednesday, while more than 4,540 have died from the virus, according to Johns Hopkins University.
In all, greater than 8,400 recoveries have been reported as federal, state and local leaders seek to stymy the virus' spread.
The coronavirus attacks the respiratory tract with the potential to cause pneumonia and death.
Despite its severity, most experience mild symptoms and recover. But the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions are particularly vulnerable.