By Esra Kaymak Avci
WASHINGTON (AA) - The U.S. warned its citizens Tuesday from traveling to Europe until the end of August due to the risk of potential terrorist attacks throughout Europe.
"The large number of tourists visiting Europe in the summer months will present greater targets for terrorists planning attacks in public locations, especially at large events," according to a statement from the State Department.
Potential targets for attacks include the Catholic Church’s World Youth Day which is expected to draw up to 2.5 million visitors to Poland at the end of July and the Europe 2016 football championships to be held in France from June 10 - July 12, the statement said.
France has been under a state of emergency following attacks last year claimed by Daesh.
State Department spokesman John Kirby said he was not aware of "any specific credible terrorist threat" related to the events or in any particular location in Europe.
"This alert was issued just as they always are based on accumulation of information," he said.