By Beyza Binnur Donmez
ANKARA (AA) - The number of Americans who filed for unemployment benefits last week fell below one million for the first time since the coronavirus pandemic hit, the Labor Department announced Thursday.
A total of 963,000 jobless claims were filed, representing a week-on-week drop of 228,000. The lowest number recorded since mid-March signals that the virus-hit labor market is continuing its recovery.
Although the claims totaled more than a million for 20 straight weeks, they entered a downward trend as the economy started moving toward reopening.
The US is the country worst hit by the pandemic, with nearly 5.2 million cases and more than 166,000 fatalities, according to a running tally by Johns Hopkins University. In all, more than 1.75 million recoveries have been recorded.
- Strong recovery expected in 3Q: US Treasury chief
- Greece: Exploratory talks with Turkey to start soon
- UNGA: South Korea urges peace on Korean Peninsula
- 'Deal to liberalize trade would boost Turkish-US ties'
- UPDATE 2 - UN Security Council needs to be restructured: Erdogan
- Turkey reports 1,692 new coronavirus cases
- Pakistan's army inducts new battle tank
- Cuban leader: UN 'urgently' needs reform
- UPDATE - UN Security Council needs to be restructured: Erdogan
- Turkey: Transport sector an economic driver amid virus
- ‘China, India not sending more troops on frontlines’
- Fight virus with multilateralism: UNGA president
- US coronavirus death toll hits 200,000: Johns Hopkins
- Chelsea FC owner donates $95M to Israeli settler group
- Turkey, Greece prepping for exploratory talks
US weekly jobless claims fall below 1M
Lowest numbers since mid-March show continuing economic recovery amid pandemic
This news is a total 23 time has been read
Strong recovery expected in 3Q: US Treasury chiefAround 24% GDP growth projected in July-September period
'Deal to liberalize trade would boost Turkish-US ties'Turkey strongly encourages innovative, R&D-intensive, high value-added products, service investments, says trade minister
UPDATE - UN Security Council needs to be restructured: ErdoganTurkish president says his thesis of 'world is bigger than five' has proved right once again during COVID-19 pandemic
Turkey: Transport sector an economic driver amid virusHighway investments alone contributed more than $2.4B to Turkey's GDP this March to August, says transport minister
US Fed Chair: Path ahead ‘highly uncertain’ for economyEmployment, overall economic activity remain well below pre-pandemic levels, central bank head says