By Mohammed Amin
KHARTOUM, SUDAN (AA) - Sudan has reached a final settlement with the families of those killed in the 2000 USS Cole bombing in Yemen, the country's Ministry of Justice said on Monday.
In a statement seen by Anadolu Agency, the ministry confirmed that the Sudanese government, and the families, had submitted a joint request to an American court to permanently delist the case.
“After the final deal, and as per the agreement we signed in February, we confirm that the procedures of the deal have been finalized, and the two sides have requested to remove the case” the statement read.
The bombing was an attack on USS Cole, a guided missile destroyer of the U.S. Navy, on October 12, 2000, when it was being refueled in Yemen's Aden harbor. Some 17 U.S. Navy sailors were killed and 39 injured in the incident.
According to the deal reached earlier this year, Khartoum will pay $30 million as compensation to the families.
The payment of this compensation, the ministry statement said, does not mean that Sudan has admitted to any involvement in the terrorist attack.
"We have agreed to pay this compensation in order to serve the higher interests of Sudan," it added.
The ministry also urged the U.S. to accelerate the procedures of delisting Sudan’s name from its terrorism blacklist, emphasizing that it would help the country reintegrate itself with the international banking and financial system, and overcome its economic hardships.
Sudan was included in the list in 1993 for its alleged support to terror groups.