By Enes Canli
ANKARA (AA) - Social media accounts linked to YPG/PKK terror group continue to attempt to spread fake news aiming to smear Turkey’s counter-terrorism operation in northern Syria.
In the latest example, the accounts linked to the YPG/PKK terror group used a video in which Daesh terrorists attempted to escape prison and accused Turkey of assisting their release.
In reality, the video was shot on September 13, before Turkey launched its operation; in fact, the video had previously been aired by a U.S. media outlet.
YPG/PKK-linked social media accounts have shared scores of videos and images following Turkey’s anti-terror operation to twist the truth and manipulate the international perspective.
However, Turkish media outlets and relevant state departments have repeatedly shed light on the truth and informed people in a correct and precise manner.
On Oct. 9, Turkey had launched Operation Peace Spring to eliminate terrorists from northern Syria in order to secure Turkey’s borders, aid in the safe return of Syrian refugees and ensure Syria’s territorial integrity.
On Thursday, Turkey agreed to pause its Operation Peace Spring for 120 hours to allow the withdrawal of terrorist YPG/PKK forces from the planned safe zone.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and U.S. Vice President Mike Pence also agreed on Turkey having 20 miles (32 kilometers) of safe zone south of the Turkish border in Syria.
Ankara wants to clear northern Syria east of the Euphrates River of the terrorist PKK and its Syrian offshoot, the YPG/PKK.
In its more than 30-year terror campaign against Turkey, the PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and the European Union -- has been responsible for deaths of 40,000 people, including women, children and infants.
*Writing by Ali Murat Alhas
- UAE drone attack killed 7 in Tripoli: Libya gov't
- UN dispatches humanitarian aid to northwest Syria
- Croatia commemorates Vukovar massacre
- Ex-President Evo Morales fears civil war in Bolivia
- Somali journalists condemn harassment in Somaliland
- EU becomes net antibiotics importer in 2018
- Turkey restores electricity in YPG/PKK terror-hit area
- Kuwaiti prime minister declines re-appointment
- Russia returns 3 seized vessels to Ukraine
- Yemen gov't returns to Aden under power-sharing deal
- UPDATE - Turkish top diplomat: Cyprus is Turkey's national cause
- France bridge collapse leaves 1 dead
- Formula 1: Hamilton loses podium over Brazil GP crash
- Turkish, Russian units complete 8th patrol in N.Syria
- Turkey neutralizes 127 most wanted terrorists this year
YPG/PKK terrorists use Daesh footage for disinformation
In yet another baseless allegation, pro-YPG/PKK social media accounts claim Daesh prisoners escape due to Turkish strikes
This news is a total 15 time has been read
UN dispatches humanitarian aid to northwest Syria33 trucks of aid to be distributed in war-torn Idlib province
Croatia commemorates Vukovar massacreVictims sacrificed their lives to keep Croatia alive, says parliament speaker
Somali journalists condemn harassment in SomalilandTV station closed down by authorities, top editor arrested
Turkey restores electricity in YPG/PKK terror-hit areaTurkey brings electricity generator to Ras al-Ayn which was cleared of terrorists by Turkey, says Defense Ministry