By Francis Maingaila
LUSAKA, Zambia (AA) - Police arrested a former information minister, who is also the leader of a breakaway political party from the ruling Patriotic Front (PF), on charges of fraud and corruption on Tuesday.
Lusaka Province Police Commissioner Nelson Phiri told journalists Chishimba Kambwili had been summoned to appear before investigators to answer the charges that allegedly took place during his tenure as information minister.
According to Phiri, Kambwili was warned and a caution statement was recorded against him on Tuesday afternoon.
He was later released.
"Kambwili has been released after fulfilling conditions of a police bond and will appear in court soon.”
In July 2017, PF Secretary General Davis Mwila said Kambwili had been expelled after criticizing the decision of the party to have Lungu as a sole candidate for the 2021 presidential election.
In November 2016, Kambwili was fired after Lungu accused him of corruption-related activities.
Some commentators, however, criticized the arrest of Kambwili, saying it was the work of the president and the ruling party to get rid of critics ahead of the 2021 presidential election.
“We expect to see more of such arrest targeting opposition leaders to take place as the clock continues to tick towards 2021 election,” Alex Ngoma, a political scientist from the University of Zambia, told the media on Tuesday afternoon.
- PSG end Galatasaray's Europa League hopes
- Ex-Sudan leader faces charges over deaths of protesters
- US calls Pyongyang back to nuclear negotiating table
- UPDATE 2 - Turkish, Russian leaders to discuss Syria over phone
- Bangladesh denies India's torture allegations
- Belgian boy, 9, to enroll in PhD program at US college
- Awarding Nobel to Handke 'insult to Bosnians'
- UPDATE-Turkey to take care of export-fueling sectors
- UPDATE - Nobel laureate Suu Kyi defends genocide accusations
- Catalan artist depicts daily life of Istanbul women
- 'Turkey to take care of export-fueling sectors'
- Mexico to send USMCA trade deal to Senate for approval
- Anadolu Agency reporter discharged from Paris hospital
- Napoli appoint Gattuso as new coach
- Colombia's peace 'in danger' warns FARC Party leader
Zambia police arrest critic of president
By Francis Maingaila