By John Cassim
Harare, Zimbabwe (AA) - Zimbabwe's main opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai died Wednesday in South Africa, a senior official in his Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) party said.
Mr. Tsvangirai, 65, a former prime minister, during the Government of National Unity, with the ruling ZANU PF, between 2009 and 2013, had reportedly been suffering from colon cancer.
“￼As you are aware that our MDC T. President, Dr. Morgan Richard Tsvangirai has not been feeling well for some time, it is sad for me to announce that we have lost our icon and fighter for democracy,” Tsvangirai’s deputy Engineer Elias Mudzuri announced via his Twitter account.
“He died this evening. The family communicated this to me," MDC Vice President Elias Mudzuri added.
The former trade union leader had a political career, marked by a long political struggle against former President Robert Mugabe.
He was beaten and imprisoned numerous times following the launch of MDC in 1999.
Tsvangirai is known for his bravery against Mugabe becoming the first such politician to stand against the much feared former leader, Mugabe changing the political landscape in the country.
The MDC leader is survived by his wife Elizabeth Macheka and seven children from his first marriage with the late Susan Tsvangirai
- Attack in Yemen’s Saada leaves ‘dozens’ dead, injured
- Koreas to hold high-level talks on Monday
- Europa League:Besiktas to take on LASK Linz in Istanbul
- Israeli official hints at ‘wide-scale’ assault on Gaza
- Leicester's shining attraction: King Richard III
- Turkey to reveal 'new economic model' on Friday
- First hijabi US TV reporter defies odds to go on air
- Football: Chelsea sign goalkeeper Kepa for record fee
- UPDATE 3 - Israeli airstrikes kill 3 Palestinians in Gaza Strip
- Turkish stocks down at open
- UPDATE 2 - Israeli airstrikes kill 3 Palestinians in Gaza Strip
- 9 die as migrant boat sinks off Turkey’s Aegean coast
- UPDATE - Israeli airstrikes kill 2 Palestinians in Gaza Strip
- UPDATE - US to impose sanctions on Russia over Skripal poisoning
Zimbabwean MDC leader Tsvangirai dies of colon cancer
Morgan Tsvangirai is known for his bravery against Robert Mugabe, first politician to stand against the former leader,
This news is a total 48 time has been read
Tags: Morgan Tsvangirai
Attack in Yemen’s Saada leaves ‘dozens’ dead, injured- Red Cross blames Houthis for deadly attack while rebel group points finger at Saudi-led coalition
Koreas to hold high-level talks on MondayLeaders of two rival Koreas met on April 27 and agreed to a 'complete denuclearization' and lasting peace on peninsula
Israeli official hints at ‘wide-scale’ assault on Gaza‘We’re closer than ever to wide-scale operation in Gaza,’ Israeli press quotes army official as saying
Leicester's shining attraction: King Richard IIISince 2015 reburial at Leicester Cathedral, Richard III's tomb has contributed to local economy significantly
First hijabi US TV reporter defies odds to go on air'I just want to be able to tell people's stories and make some kind of a difference,' Tahera Rahman says