By John Cassim
Harare, Zimbabwe (AA) - Zimbabwe's main opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai died Wednesday in South Africa, a senior official in his Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) party said.
Mr. Tsvangirai, 65, a former prime minister, during the Government of National Unity, with the ruling ZANU PF, between 2009 and 2013, had reportedly been suffering from colon cancer.
“￼As you are aware that our MDC T. President, Dr. Morgan Richard Tsvangirai has not been feeling well for some time, it is sad for me to announce that we have lost our icon and fighter for democracy,” Tsvangirai’s deputy Engineer Elias Mudzuri announced via his Twitter account.
“He died this evening. The family communicated this to me," MDC Vice President Elias Mudzuri added.
The former trade union leader had a political career, marked by a long political struggle against former President Robert Mugabe.
He was beaten and imprisoned numerous times following the launch of MDC in 1999.
Tsvangirai is known for his bravery against Mugabe becoming the first such politician to stand against the much feared former leader, Mugabe changing the political landscape in the country.
The MDC leader is survived by his wife Elizabeth Macheka and seven children from his first marriage with the late Susan Tsvangirai
- Former Algerian president, Bouteflika, dies at 84
- EU countries opening doors to fully vaccinated Turkish citizens
- US, NATO must bear cost of Afghan reconstruction, says Putin
- West African leaders hold talks with military leaders in Guinea
- UK court gives week to Prince Andrew to challenge assault case
- Another Dutch minister resigns over Afghan refugee issue
- Uganda condemns military coups in Africa
- Afghan schools to reopen for boys, say Taliban
- Afghanistan's neighbors call for conclusion of 'national reconciliation'
- Muslim-owned French publishing house faces closure
- UPDATE - Turkey, Germany against idea of biennial football World Cup
- Turkey’s Communications Directorate to hold panel ahead of UNGA
- EU Mediterranean leaders sign climate change declaration
- ‘Turkey neutralizes 18,500 PKK terrorists since 2015’
- France recalls US, Australian ambassadors amid security pact row
Zimbabwean MDC leader Tsvangirai dies of colon cancer
Morgan Tsvangirai is known for his bravery against Robert Mugabe, first politician to stand against the former leader,
This news is a total 163 time has been read
Tags: Morgan Tsvangirai
Former Algerian president, Bouteflika, dies at 84Bouteflika stepped down in April 2019 following mass protests
EU countries opening doors to fully vaccinated Turkish citizensMany EU countries have modified rules now allowing Turkish citizens inoculated with 2 dozes of Pfizer-Biotech vaccine
US, NATO must bear cost of Afghan reconstruction, says PutinAddressing 2 summit meetings in Tajikistan through video link, Putin says, US, NATO are mainly responsible for situation in Afghanistan
West African leaders hold talks with military leaders in GuineaLeaders of Ghana, Ivory Coast, Senegal arrive in Guinea to convince military leaders to hold early elections to restore civilian rule
UK court gives week to Prince Andrew to challenge assault caseLawyers for Prince Andrew to challenge legal proceedings against royal in US civil sex assault case
- FBI agents shoot man outside CIA headquarters
- Fenerbahce football player contracts COVID-19
- NBA: Bucks acquire P.J. Tucker, Kurucs from Rockets
- UN mission in DRC condemns killing of Italian envoy
- Erdogan urges all parties to pitch in on new Constitution
- US: 1 dead, 4 injured in clinic shooting
- Tennis: Australian Open to kick off Monday
- NBA: Doncic's career-high leads Mavericks over Warriors
- Bayern Munich win German Super Cup
- China destroys 30,000 'inaccurate' world maps
- ISNA President Expresses Concerns on Gaza Crisis
- Attack on Muslims Outside Mosque in NY
- Tips For a Happy and Healthy Ramadan
- Red Meat Linked to Breast Cancer in Harvard Study
- Pilot’s miraculous landing