By John Cassim
Harare, Zimbabwe (AA) - Zimbabwe's main opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai died Wednesday in South Africa, a senior official in his Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) party said.
Mr. Tsvangirai, 65, a former prime minister, during the Government of National Unity, with the ruling ZANU PF, between 2009 and 2013, had reportedly been suffering from colon cancer.
“￼As you are aware that our MDC T. President, Dr. Morgan Richard Tsvangirai has not been feeling well for some time, it is sad for me to announce that we have lost our icon and fighter for democracy,” Tsvangirai’s deputy Engineer Elias Mudzuri announced via his Twitter account.
“He died this evening. The family communicated this to me," MDC Vice President Elias Mudzuri added.
The former trade union leader had a political career, marked by a long political struggle against former President Robert Mugabe.
He was beaten and imprisoned numerous times following the launch of MDC in 1999.
Tsvangirai is known for his bravery against Mugabe becoming the first such politician to stand against the much feared former leader, Mugabe changing the political landscape in the country.
The MDC leader is survived by his wife Elizabeth Macheka and seven children from his first marriage with the late Susan Tsvangirai
- Islamic Bank set to join forces with China-backed AIIB
- Football: Champions League recap
- Palestinian lecturer's body arrives in Cairo
- Turkey's Borsa Istanbul up at open
- Turkish, Russian, Iranian FMs to meet in Moscow
- North Korea hails Kim's role ahead of border summit
- US slams Taliban for announcing spring offensive
- Yemen: 8 get death for collaborating with coalition
- Kuwait orders Philippine envoy to leave in 7 days
- Turkey lauded for its generosity towards Syrians
- YouTube restricts video exposing Israeli brutality
- Qatar urges shared role in political solution to Syria
- US: ex-officer suspected of serial slayings arrested
- Apple CEO meets with Trump on trade
Zimbabwean MDC leader Tsvangirai dies of colon cancer
Morgan Tsvangirai is known for his bravery against Robert Mugabe, first politician to stand against the former leader,
This news is a total 31 time has been read
Tags: Morgan Tsvangirai
Palestinian lecturer's body arrives in CairoBody of Fadi Mohammed al-Batsh, who was shot dead in Malaysia, to be taken to Gaza Strip through Rafah border crossing
DiaryHere are the main topics Anadolu Agency’s English Desk plans to cover on Thursday, April 26, 2018
North Korea hails Kim's role ahead of border summitKim Jong-un is hours from becoming North Korea's first leader to cross into the South since the 1950-53 Korean War
US slams Taliban for announcing spring offensive'More violence will not bring peace and security to Afghanistan', says State Department
Yemen: 8 get death for collaborating with coalitionCourt in Houthi-held Sanaa convicts eight people for cooperating with ‘enemy forces’