By John Cassim
Harare, Zimbabwe (AA) - Zimbabwe's main opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai died Wednesday in South Africa, a senior official in his Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) party said.
Mr. Tsvangirai, 65, a former prime minister, during the Government of National Unity, with the ruling ZANU PF, between 2009 and 2013, had reportedly been suffering from colon cancer.
“￼As you are aware that our MDC T. President, Dr. Morgan Richard Tsvangirai has not been feeling well for some time, it is sad for me to announce that we have lost our icon and fighter for democracy,” Tsvangirai’s deputy Engineer Elias Mudzuri announced via his Twitter account.
“He died this evening. The family communicated this to me," MDC Vice President Elias Mudzuri added.
The former trade union leader had a political career, marked by a long political struggle against former President Robert Mugabe.
He was beaten and imprisoned numerous times following the launch of MDC in 1999.
Tsvangirai is known for his bravery against Mugabe becoming the first such politician to stand against the much feared former leader, Mugabe changing the political landscape in the country.
The MDC leader is survived by his wife Elizabeth Macheka and seven children from his first marriage with the late Susan Tsvangirai
- Pompeo, Saudi king discuss regional affairs in Riyadh
- 'Turkey has close eye on Germany after racist attack'
- UPDATE Turkey condemns German shootings
- Nigerian forces kill 3 top ISWAP ringleaders
- ANALYSIS - Israel adopts new Africa policy through UAE
- Netherlands returns 18th century crown to Ethiopia
- Barcelona sign Danish forward Braithwaite
- Turkey: European states should unite against xenophobia
- Palestine, Israel agree to end trade dispute
- UPDATE - European leaders 'shocked' by mass shooting in Germany
- Turkish speaker meets Montenegrin counterpart
- UN refugee chief calls for safety of civilians in Idlib
- India: Ahead of Trump visit, river gets water, slum a wall
- Brazil: Senator shot in strike remains in hospital
- Germany: 5 Turkish nationals among victims of mass shooting
Zimbabwean MDC leader Tsvangirai dies of colon cancer
Morgan Tsvangirai is known for his bravery against Robert Mugabe, first politician to stand against the former leader,
This news is a total 110 time has been read
Tags: Morgan Tsvangirai
Pompeo, Saudi king discuss regional affairs in RiyadhUS secretary of state visits Saudi Arabia to hold talks on regional security, economy, human rights issues
'Turkey has close eye on Germany after racist attack'Turkey expects German authorities to make necessary efforts to throw light on all aspects of deadly terror attack
UPDATE Turkey condemns German shootingsTurkey’s Ambassador to Berlin confirms five Turkish nationals were among those killed in the mass shooting Hanau
Nigerian forces kill 3 top ISWAP ringleadersSenior terrorists killed during air, land offensive on Boko Haram splinter group's camps in Borno State, say local reports
ANALYSIS - Israel adopts new Africa policy through UAEUAE uses economic clout as intermediary between African countries, Israel