By John Cassim
Harare, Zimbabwe (AA) - Zimbabwe's main opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai died Wednesday in South Africa, a senior official in his Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) party said.
Mr. Tsvangirai, 65, a former prime minister, during the Government of National Unity, with the ruling ZANU PF, between 2009 and 2013, had reportedly been suffering from colon cancer.
“￼As you are aware that our MDC T. President, Dr. Morgan Richard Tsvangirai has not been feeling well for some time, it is sad for me to announce that we have lost our icon and fighter for democracy,” Tsvangirai’s deputy Engineer Elias Mudzuri announced via his Twitter account.
“He died this evening. The family communicated this to me," MDC Vice President Elias Mudzuri added.
The former trade union leader had a political career, marked by a long political struggle against former President Robert Mugabe.
He was beaten and imprisoned numerous times following the launch of MDC in 1999.
Tsvangirai is known for his bravery against Mugabe becoming the first such politician to stand against the much feared former leader, Mugabe changing the political landscape in the country.
The MDC leader is survived by his wife Elizabeth Macheka and seven children from his first marriage with the late Susan Tsvangirai
- Tanzanian president unveils new Cabinet
- Turkish gymnastics team proud of representing country
- Football: Bayer Leverkusen's Demirbay contracts virus
- Pakistan rejects Indian media’s ‘infiltration’ reports
- Turkish, Italian foreign ministers speak over phone
- Bangladesh urged to halt Rohingya relocation to island
- Duplantis, Rojas named World athletes of year
- EU: Brexit deal not 'feasible' unless disputes resolved
- Armenian opposition gives ultimatum to premier
- Football: Galatasaray beat Hatayspor 3-0
- World Turkish Coffee Day marked in US
- Daily virus cases, deaths down in Italy
- 5 PKK terrorists surrender to Turkish security forces
- Locals in eastern Syria protest against YPG/PKK
- UPDATE - Turkey reports 31,800+ new coronavirus cases
Zimbabwean MDC leader Tsvangirai dies of colon cancer
Morgan Tsvangirai is known for his bravery against Robert Mugabe, first politician to stand against the former leader,
This news is a total 134 time has been read
Tags: Morgan Tsvangirai
Tanzanian president unveils new Cabinet· Cabinet includes new ministry, cadre of new, old politicians, including women
Pakistan rejects Indian media’s ‘infiltration’ reportsIslamabad says such ‘fabricated’ news are part of Indian ‘propaganda’
Bangladesh urged to halt Rohingya relocation to islandBangladesh has already relocated 1,642 Rohingya to remote island as part of its plan to relocate over 100,000 refugees
EU: Brexit deal not 'feasible' unless disputes resolvedEU Commission President Von der Leyen issues statement after phone call with British Prime Minister Johnson
Armenian opposition gives ultimatum to premierOpposition parties warn Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan of civil obedience if he does not resign until Tuesday