By John Cassim
Harare, Zimbabwe (AA) - Zimbabwe's main opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai died Wednesday in South Africa, a senior official in his Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) party said.
Mr. Tsvangirai, 65, a former prime minister, during the Government of National Unity, with the ruling ZANU PF, between 2009 and 2013, had reportedly been suffering from colon cancer.
“￼As you are aware that our MDC T. President, Dr. Morgan Richard Tsvangirai has not been feeling well for some time, it is sad for me to announce that we have lost our icon and fighter for democracy,” Tsvangirai’s deputy Engineer Elias Mudzuri announced via his Twitter account.
“He died this evening. The family communicated this to me," MDC Vice President Elias Mudzuri added.
The former trade union leader had a political career, marked by a long political struggle against former President Robert Mugabe.
He was beaten and imprisoned numerous times following the launch of MDC in 1999.
Tsvangirai is known for his bravery against Mugabe becoming the first such politician to stand against the much feared former leader, Mugabe changing the political landscape in the country.
The MDC leader is survived by his wife Elizabeth Macheka and seven children from his first marriage with the late Susan Tsvangirai
- Yellow vest protests held in Montenegro
- 39th Gulf Cooperation Council summit ends in Riyadh
- Turkish FM criticizes EU, press on France protests
- S. Arabia not to hand over suspects in Khashoggi case
- UPDATE - Belgian king accepts resignations over migration row
- Germany will not put DITIB under surveillance: Report
- No blockade states in previous summit: Qatari official
- Netanyahu tasks Mossad head to forge ties with S.Arabia
- China summons US ambassador over Huawei exec warrant
- Israeli army to focus on Hezbollah: Israeli PM
- 3 militants, including teenager, killed in Kashmir
- S.Arabia hosts 39th Gulf Cooperation Council summit
- EU pledges $82.5M for reconstruction: Iraqi minister
- UPDATE 2 - Turkish club wins gold in world volleyball championship
- Paris tells Trump to keep out of French politics
Zimbabwean MDC leader Tsvangirai dies of colon cancer
Morgan Tsvangirai is known for his bravery against Robert Mugabe, first politician to stand against the former leader,
This news is a total 74 time has been read
Tags: Morgan Tsvangirai
Yellow vest protests held in MontenegroCrowd in capital Podgorica holds protests against government over arrested lawmaker Medojevic
39th Gulf Cooperation Council summit ends in RiyadhIn the final declaration, member states stressed their loyalty to the organization
Turkish FM criticizes EU, press on France protestsMevlut Cavusoglu said Europe was the stable continent and it should remain that way, wishing an end to protests
S. Arabia not to hand over suspects in Khashoggi case"We don’t extradite our citizens," Saudi FM al-Jubeir says in Gulf Cooperation Council summit news conference
UPDATE - Belgian king accepts resignations over migration rowKing Philippe accepts resignations of several ministers amid a row over migration