29% compliance in Rafah crossing reopening amid Israeli restrictions: Gaza media office

29% compliance in Rafah crossing reopening amid Israeli restrictions: Gaza media office

Only 811 travelers able to cross Rafah crossing in both directions out of 2,800 people expected to travel, says office

By Ramzi Mahmud

GAZA CITY, Palestine (AA) - The Gaza media office said Monday that only 29% compliance was recorded in the reopening of the Rafah border crossing between Egypt and Gaza amid strict Israeli restrictions.

In a statement, the office said that between Feb. 2 and Feb. 15, only 811 travelers were able to cross the Rafah crossing in both directions out of a total of 2,800 people expected to travel.

It said 455 travelers were allowed to depart Gaza, 356 arrived, and 26 others were turned back during the period.

According to the statement, Israel reopened the Palestinian side of the crossing on Feb. 2 in a very limited manner after controlling it since May 2024.

The media office said it was not informed of the criteria used to determine the total number of travelers scheduled to cross.

Egyptian and Israeli media had previously reported that about 50 Palestinians were expected to cross daily into Gaza and a similar number into Egypt, including patients and their companions, but the office said this was not fully implemented.

Palestinian estimates in Gaza indicate that around 22,000 wounded and sick people require travel outside the enclave for medical treatment amid the collapse of the health sector.

Semi-official figures also show that about 80,000 Palestinians have registered to return to Gaza, reflecting continued rejection of displacement despite widespread destruction.

A US-backed ceasefire agreement has been in place in Gaza since Oct. 10, halting Israel’s two-year war that has killed more than 72,000 people, mostly women and children, and injured over 171,000 others since October 2023.

Since the agreement took effect on Oct. 10, 2025, Israeli forces have committed hundreds of violations through shelling and gunfire, killing 603 Palestinians and injuring 1,618 others, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​*Writing by Rania Abushamala in Istanbul.

Kaynak:Source of News

This news has been read 119 times in total

ADD A COMMENT to TO THE NEWS
UYARI: Küfür, hakaret, rencide edici cümleler veya imalar, inançlara saldırı içeren, imla kuralları ile yazılmamış,
Türkçe karakter kullanılmayan ve büyük harflerle yazılmış yorumlar onaylanmamaktadır.
Previous and Next News