Gunman kills 2 Swedish nationals in Brussels
Investigation underway, no suspect arrested yet, says police spokeswoman
By Ahmet Gencturk
ATHENS (AA) – A gunman killed at least two Swedish nationals in Brussels, local media reported on Monday evening.
The shooting took place around 19.15 pm local time (1715GMT) near Place Sainctelette and Avenue Ninth Linielette, said public broadcaster VRT.
Speaking to the broadcaster, Belgian police spokeswoman Ilse Van de Keere said no suspect had been arrested yet but the investigation is ongoing.
The broadcaster also showed amateur footage of a man in a fluorescent orange jacket and a white helmet dismounting from a motor scooter and firing several shots with an automatic weapon.
When some people flee into a building, the gunman is then seen following them and opening fire into the lobby.
Separately, the terror threat level for Brussels, the EU capital, has been moved up to level 4, the highest level, signaling that a terrorist threat is serious and very close.
In the rest of the country, the terror level has been raised to level 3, which represents a threat that is possible and likely.
Neighboring France is also tightening controls at the border with Belgium, said French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin.
In a related development, Prime Minister Alexander De Croo said on X that he is monitoring developments together with the justice and interior ministers at the country’s national crisis center.
"We are monitoring the situation and would like to ask the residents of Brussels to be vigilant," he said.
This news has been read 145 times in total