By Zakaria al-Kamali
KUWAIT CITY (AA) – Emir of Kuwait Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Jaber Al Sabah met Wednesday with both delegations taking part in UN-backed peace talks in hopes of bridging outstanding gaps between Yemen’s warring camps, a Yemeni source close to the negotiations has said.
The source, who spoke anonymously due to restrictions on speaking to media, told Anadolu Agency that the emir had held three separate meetings with UN Special Envoy for Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, the Yemeni government delegation, and a delegation representing the Shia Houthi militant group and their allies.
According to the source, the emir said he supported dialogue efforts that acknowledged the "legitimacy" of Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi and UN Security Resolution 2216 (adopted last year).
On Tuesday, the Yemeni government suspended its participation in the talks to protest what it described as the Houthis’ refusal to abide by the scheduled agenda of talks.
UN-brokered talks began last month in Kuwait City between the Houthis and their allies in an effort to resolve the ongoing conflict in Yemen, which has led to a dire humanitarian crisis and displaced some 2.5 million Yemenis.
Yemen has been racked by chaos and bloodshed since late 2014, when the Houthis and allied forces loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh overran capital Sanaa and other parts of the country, forcing Hadi and his Saudi-backed government to temporarily flee to Riyadh.