By Ibrahim al-Khazen
ISTANBUL (AA) – Saudi Arabia said Tuesday it will continue its aid to the victims of last month’s deadly earthquakes in Türkiye and Syria.
A Cabinet meeting was chaired on Tuesday by Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz.
The meeting reiterated the kingdom’s commitment to continuing its aid to the quake victims in both Türkiye and Syria.
Following the earthquake disaster, the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center launched a donation drive on Feb. 8 for the quake victims in Türkiye and Syria.
On Monday, a donor conference was held in Brussels for the earthquake victims in Türkiye and Syria.
Addressing the conference, Abdullah Al-Rabeeah, an adviser at the Saudi Royal Court, said the kingdom has organized an airlift for the quake victims and dispatched rescue teams to provide help to those affected in the two quake-hit countries.
Al-Rabeeah said the Saudi campaign has garnered $150 million along with the dispatch of 16 planes loaded with humanitarian aid and 6,000 makeshift homes for the quake victims.
At least 50,096 people were killed in the powerful earthquakes that struck southern Türkiye on Feb. 6, according to official figures.
The quakes also killed around 6,000 people in Syria, according to UN figures.
Writing by Ahmed Asmar