By Andrew Wasike
NAIROBI, Kenya (AA) - A Kenyan court denied bail Wednesday to a cult leader amid an investigation into deaths at his church that has so far found 133 victims.
The ruling by Shanzu Courts Senior Principal Magistrate Yusuf Shikanda said releasing Paul Mackenzie and other suspects would jeopardize their safety and compromise the ongoing investigation.
Shikanda said Mackenzie and 30 of his followers would remain in custody for 30 days as the investigation continues.
The Shakahola massacre, characterized by the discovery of mass graves in the remote Shakahola Forest in Kilifi County, has sent shockwaves throughout the nation.
It has raised questions about the influence and activities of cult-like organizations in Kenya, prompting authorities to intensify efforts to uncover the full extent of the cult's activities and hold those responsible accountable.
The death toll to 133 on Tuesday after police exhumed 21 additional bodies from forest land belonging to Mackenzie's church.
Hundreds who died at the hands of the starvation cult in the coastal town of Malindi are believed to have been buried in the forest.
Coast Regional Commissioner Rhoda Onyancha said 566 people are missing in the area and some who were members of the church are suspected to have been buried at the sites
An investigation that started last month has so far revealed that some victims who had been coerced into starving themselves to meet Jesus, had their organs missing, which has led to suspicions of trafficking in human organs.
Interior Minister Kithure Kindiki described the deaths as a highly organized crime, saying the mass graves that have been discovered are too many.