UPDATES WITH MORE DETAILS
By Syed Zafar Mehdi
TEHRAN, Iran (AA) – Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Tuesday that “more serious discussions” were held during the latest round of indirect nuclear negotiations with the United States and the dialogue atmosphere was “more constructive.”
Speaking to reporters after the conclusion of the second round of talks with the US in Geneva under Omani mediation, Araghchi said the parties reached a general agreement on a set of “guiding principles” to serve as a basis for beginning work on the text of a potential agreement.
“It was decided that both sides will work on the drafts of a potential agreement, and after exchanging the texts,” he said.
“The timing of the next round of talks will be determined,” Araghchi said.
Iran’s top diplomat added that a clear path now lies ahead for the nuclear negotiations with the American side, which is “assessed positively” from Iran’s perspective.
He, however, cautioned that progress in talks does not mean a quick agreement has been reached, but the negotiation process has started, and “good progress” has been made.
“Both sides,” he stressed, “have positions that will take some time to bring closer together.”
Araghchi said no specific date has been set for the next round of talks between Tehran and Washington, noting that it is not yet possible to speak of a roadmap.
Iranian state media earlier reported that Tuesday’s round of talks in Geneva focused primarily on the technical aspects of the nuclear negotiations.
According to reports, the two sides exchanged notes on technical issues, with the participation of experts in nuclear, legal, and economic matters.
The Iranian delegation was led by Araghchi, while the American side was headed by Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and President Donald Trump’s adviser Jared Kushner.
Both delegations held separate meetings with Omani Foreign Minister Badr Albusaidi at the Omani Embassy before exchanging notes through the mediators.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei told reporters at the venue that the talks focused on sanctions removal and technical matters.
UN nuclear agency chief Rafael Grossi was also present in the negotiations, and both sides held separate talks with him, Baghaei said.
The first round of talks took place in Muscat earlier this month, more than eight months after diplomacy was suspended following the Iran-Israel war last June.
A reporter representing the state-run news agency IRNA, accompanying the Iranian delegation to Geneva, said the negotiations were “very serious” and some general issues were agreed upon.
He added that it was decided that discussions on the details would continue after the delegations consult with their capitals.