UPDATE 8 - At least 16,540 died from powerful earthquakes in southern Türkiye

UPDATE 8 - At least 16,540 died from powerful earthquakes in southern Türkiye

Monday's twin quakes, centered in Kahramanmaras, affected several other provinces

ADDS MORE INFO; UPDATES CASUALTIES; CHANGE HEADLINE

By Diyar Guldogan

ANKARA (AA) - At least 16,546 people were killed and 66,132 others injured by two strong earthquakes that jolted southern Türkiye earlier this week, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Thursday.

The magnitude 7.7 and 7.6 earthquakes, centered in the Kahramanmaras province, were felt on Monday by 13 million people across 10 provinces, including Adana, Adiyaman, Diyarbakir, Gaziantep, Hatay, Kilis, Malatya, Osmaniye, and Sanliurfa.

Several countries in the region, including Syria and Lebanon, felt strong tremors that struck Türkiye in the space of less than 10 hours.

Speaking in Kilis, Erdogan said a total of 6,444 buildings had collapsed in the quake zone.

"Last Monday, we were confronted with the worst earthquake this region has ever seen in its history," he added.

For his part, Vice President Fuat Oktay said while speaking in the parliament: "The earthquake affected an area of ​​approximately 110,000 square kilometers (about 42,470 sq miles). This is equal to or greater than the area of ​​many countries in Europe.

"This earthquake is the third-largest to occur since the 1668 Great Anatolia earthquake and the 1939 Erzincan earthquake in the last 2,000 years on the Anatolian geography."

Turkish parliament speaker Mustafa Sentop called on lawmakers to make donations worth at least one month's wage to the country's disaster management agency, adding that he had donated three monthly wages.

During a visit to the southern Gaziantep province, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said: "Our state has been on the field with all its institutions starting from the moment of the earthquake."

More than 115,680 search and rescue personnel are currently working in the field, according to the Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD).

A total of 28,044 people were evacuated from quake-hit regions, AFAD said in a statement.

"As of 11.38 a.m. (0838GMT), a total of 28,044 citizens were evacuated from the disaster area, 4,607 by road and railway and 23,437 by air," it said.

Evacuees are being placed in accommodation areas and guesthouses designated by provincial governors' offices and AFAD, it added.


- Foreign teams in field

Meanwhile, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said 95 countries and 16 international organizations offered to send Türkiye assistance, with many nations sending search and rescue teams, doctors, field hospitals, and aid materials to the quake-hit region.

Speaking in the capital Ankara, Cavusoglu said 6,479 personnel from 56 countries were currently in the field. "Teams from 19 more countries will be in our country within 24 hours," he added at the news conference alongside Tahsin Ertugruloglu, his counterpart from the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC).

For his part, Ertugruloglu said every Turkish Cypriot's heart beats with Türkiye.

Besides rescue teams, blankets, tents, food, and psychological support teams were also sent to affected areas.

A total of 92,738 family tents have been set up to shelter survivors, AFAD said.

It added that 10,363 vehicles, including excavators, tractors, and dozers, were sent to the disaster area.

Teams in Sanliurfa and Kilis completed their search operations and have been dispatched to other provinces, AFAD said.


- State of emergency declared

Erdogan on Wednesday inspected the ongoing search and rescue, as well as relief efforts in the Adana, Hatay, and Kahramanmaras provinces, as well as one of the epicenters Pazarcik, where he met survivors in tent cities.

First lady Emine Erdogan on Wednesday visited 16 infant survivors who were airlifted from Kahramanmaras to a hospital in the capital Ankara.

Türkiye has mobilized all its resources for post-quake efforts, President Erdogan said, adding: "The state is working with municipalities, especially with the Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD), with all its resources."

To speed up search and rescue operations more, Türkiye on Tuesday announced a three-month state of emergency in the quake-hit provinces.

In addition, Türkiye is observing seven days of national mourning after the devastating quakes.

All national sports events in the country have been suspended until further notice, and schools nationwide will be closed until Feb. 20.

After the quakes, condolences poured in from around the world expressing solidarity with Türkiye, with many countries sending rescue teams and aid.


- Türkiye sets up air corridor

After the initial earthquake, an air aid corridor was created by the Turkish Armed Forces to deliver search and rescue teams to the region.

A large number of aircraft for transport, including A-400Ms, carried search and rescue teams and vehicles to the region. Ambulance planes are also using the air aid corridor.

Nearly 19,000 Turkish soldiers also rushed to the aid of people in the field, the National Defense Ministry said in a statement.

All barracks, including the 2nd Army Command in Malatya, were opened to the service of citizens affected by the earthquakes.

Rescue and relief personnel and materials were dispatched to the region with 160 aircraft, AFAD said.

In addition, the flights of two Akinci drones are being used to coordinate work in disaster areas.

A total of 22 ships were also assigned to the region for personnel and material shipment and for evacuation.

Kaynak:Source of News

This news has been read 127 times in total

ADD A COMMENT to TO THE NEWS
UYARI: Küfür, hakaret, rencide edici cümleler veya imalar, inançlara saldırı içeren, imla kuralları ile yazılmamış,
Türkçe karakter kullanılmayan ve büyük harflerle yazılmış yorumlar onaylanmamaktadır.
Previous and Next News