UPDATE - Paul Pogba gets 4-year doping ban

UPDATE - Paul Pogba gets 4-year doping ban

30-year-old French star tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone after Serie A game against Udinese last year

ADDS PLAYER'S STATEMENT ON INSTAGRAM

By Emre Asikci and Can Erozden

ISTANBUL (AA) — Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba was handed a four-year ban by Italy's anti-doping court on Thursday for failing a drug test, state news agency ANSA reported.

The former Manchester United player, 30, had tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone after the Udinese-Juventus match on Aug. 20, 2023.

Since then, he was provisionally suspended, and now the anti-doping tribunal has imposed a ban on him.

Pogba was the most expensive signing when he left Juventus for Manchester United in 2016. The English club had paid €105 million ($113.6 million) to purchase him.

The 2018 FIFA World Cup winner with France helped Manchester United win the 2017 UEFA Europa League title. He rejoined Juventus from Manchester United in 2022.


- Pogba to appeal ban

The former French international vowed to appeal the ban and said the verdict against him is "incorrect."

"I have today been informed of the Tribunale Nazionale Antidoping's decision and believe that the verdict is incorrect," Pogba said in message on Instagram.

"I am sad, shocked and heartbroken that everything I have built in my professional playing career has been taken away from me," he said.

Pogba will turn 31 on March 15 and has a contract at Juventus that will expire in 2026.

The former world champion will be nearly 35 when the ban ends.

"When I am free of legal restrictions the full story will become clear, but I have never knowingly or deliberately taken any supplements that violate anti-doping regulations.

"As a professional athlete I would never do anything to enhance my performance by using banned substances and have never disrespected or cheated fellow athletes and supporters of any of the teams I have played for, or against.

"As a consequence of the decision announced today I will appeal this before the Court of Arbitration for Sport," he added.

Kaynak:Source of News

This news has been read 96 times in total

ADD A COMMENT to TO THE NEWS
UYARI: Küfür, hakaret, rencide edici cümleler veya imalar, inançlara saldırı içeren, imla kuralları ile yazılmamış,
Türkçe karakter kullanılmayan ve büyük harflerle yazılmış yorumlar onaylanmamaktadır.
Previous and Next News